Sopranos "Clean" DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hughes, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I was at Sam's Club the other day and was looking at the season 2 box set. There was a UPC sticker stuck over the one that had the word "clean" above the numbers? Is Sams Club / Wal-Mart monkeying with the Sopranos? I know they love to play moral custodian for the world. Since I wasn't sure what to do, I declined buying it (and season 3) for now.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I very much doubt that HBO is putting out clean versions of The Sopranos, but you never know when it comes to Wal-Mart. One would think they aren't going to start their evil work with Sopranos first, they'd start with something that wouldn't get too much bitching

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

So I know what to look for, you're saying that the word "Clean" appears over the UPC barcodes in the lower right corner of this box?
    [​IMG]
    If there is a separate "clean" version of this out there, maybe Gord and I should put the word out on TVShowsOnDVD. As a "warning" to people, if nothing else.
    At worst, we can at least check into this for you, perhaps. For what its worth, WB's press materials database only lists the one version of the Sopranos S2 DVD. And only one version each of S1 and S3, for that matter!

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's probably just that they left the barcode machine set for CDs, honestly

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I hope so, but on a side note, isn't it funny that the store that is so uptight about content in its movies and music also sells guns?

6. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

While I agree with Jeff that it's unlikely, I do remember hearing that they have produced "clean" versions of every episode for eventual syndication. But no one has ever mentioned that those versions would ever be released on DVD...just for broadcast on over-the-air television.

But you can never trust Wal-Mart...that's why I never buy DVDs there!

7. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    It probably refers to not having any internal sensormatic devices included in the packaging. It's common practice for studios to include those in the packaging for several different security set-ups, and they will sell a company the version they use. Clean just refers to them not having any, and that the store will have to provide their own.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I think if there were edited versions of "The Sopranos" being sold at Sam's/Wal-Mart we would have heard about it by now. After all, the first season has been out on DVD for almost 2 years.
    Anyway, a "clean" version of this show would be a one-disc set! What would be the point?? [​IMG]

10. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

The clean version of 'The Sopranos' changed the theme song lyrics to "ya got yourself a radio". [​IMG]
    Jay Taylor

11. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

12. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes
    There was a sticker placed over the UPC. The sticker was a UPC with the word clean at the top. When I was still at the store I thought I was nuts and went back and looked again to make sure I saw it right. This is likely some sort of mistake, I can't imagine with how long this set has been out that somebody would not have noticed any censoring...

I see no point in catering to somebody who would want a "clean" version of the Sopranos, like a previous poster said, you would have to edit each episdoe down to almost nothing to avoid hurting the feelings of any sensitive viewers.

13. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

16. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes
    Nope, it was one more than one package. Also, the boxes were in a large plastic casing (similar to what Sam's Club sold the Godfather box-set in).

I think maybe the word clean was left in the program that prints to labels by mistake. Or perhaps some yahoo meant to put "clear" because a particular batch was going to be put in these clear plastic cases for Sam's Club, Costco, etc.

They did not have any copies of the first or third season in stock, so there was nothing to compare it to.

This is probably much ado about nothing, however I am not going to fork over $70 for something that is edited for my own protection...

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    [​IMG]
    actually, around here (Singapore) they sell VCDs (don't worry, fully legit and distributed by the local licensee, which I believe is either Alliance Atlantis or Warner Home Video) of the Sopranos, two episodes a volume with two discs, presumably one episode a disc.
    they are undoubtedly the toned down versions that are released into syndication. same thing we get on broadcast, all the "f***in' hell" becomes "frickin' hell" etc, we hardly ever get to see the Bada Bing (for obvious reasons) and so on.
    hence the added attraction of watching it on DVD...

18. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

19. Michael Costa

They actually film 2 versions of each scene for the Sopranos in case they want to syndicate the show later on.
    http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,8526,00.html

20. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

The version I bought from Costco a few months ago also said "Clean" on it. I initially paused when I saw it, but I just figured it must be a reference to the packaging or security source-tagging.
    The discs play fine and are completely intact: nudity, swearing & all. [​IMG]
    It is safe to buy.