What's new

Sopranos "Clean" DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I was at Sam's Club the other day and was looking at the season 2 box set. There was a UPC sticker stuck over the one that had the word "clean" above the numbers? Is Sams Club / Wal-Mart monkeying with the Sopranos? I know they love to play moral custodian for the world. Since I wasn't sure what to do, I declined buying it (and season 3) for now.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I very much doubt that HBO is putting out clean versions of The Sopranos, but you never know when it comes to Wal-Mart. One would think they aren't going to start their evil work with Sopranos first, they'd start with something that wouldn't get too much bitching

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So I know what to look for, you're saying that the word "Clean" appears over the UPC barcodes in the lower right corner of this box?

If there is a separate "clean" version of this out there, maybe Gord and I should put the word out on TVShowsOnDVD. As a "warning" to people, if nothing else.
At worst, we can at least check into this for you, perhaps. For what its worth, WB's press materials database only lists the one version of the Sopranos S2 DVD. And only one version each of S1 and S3, for that matter!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I hope so, but on a side note, isn't it funny that the store that is so uptight about content in its movies and music also sells guns?

DanHaya

Second Unit
While I agree with Jeff that it's unlikely, I do remember hearing that they have produced "clean" versions of every episode for eventual syndication. But no one has ever mentioned that those versions would ever be released on DVD...just for broadcast on over-the-air television.

But you can never trust Wal-Mart...that's why I never buy DVDs there!

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I know they love to play moral custodian for the world
I doubt an edited Sopranos has anything to do with playing moral custodian. If they are doing this, it's because they think they will make more $$$, based on the preferences of their customers. Morality has nothing to do with it.

And being offended by explicit sex, violence or profanity doesn't really have anything to do with your inclination to buy a gun; those are two issues that have nothing to do with each other, and trying to link one with the other suggests you don't understand either of them.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It probably refers to not having any internal sensormatic devices included in the packaging. It's common practice for studios to include those in the packaging for several different security set-ups, and they will sell a company the version they use. Clean just refers to them not having any, and that the store will have to provide their own.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I think if there were edited versions of "The Sopranos" being sold at Sam's/Wal-Mart we would have heard about it by now. After all, the first season has been out on DVD for almost 2 years.
Anyway, a "clean" version of this show would be a one-disc set! What would be the point?? ;)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
There was a sticker placed over the UPC. The sticker was a UPC with the word clean at the top. When I was still at the store I thought I was nuts and went back and looked again to make sure I saw it right. This is likely some sort of mistake, I can't imagine with how long this set has been out that somebody would not have noticed any censoring...

I see no point in catering to somebody who would want a "clean" version of the Sopranos, like a previous poster said, you would have to edit each episdoe down to almost nothing to avoid hurting the feelings of any sensitive viewers.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I doubt an edited Sopranos has anything to do with playing moral custodian. If they are doing this, it's because they think they will make more $$$, based on the preferences of their customers. Morality has nothing to do with it.
I think morality does have a play in what Wal-Mart does, as they have the power in the market to pull it off. They can and do censor "in the interest of their customers", and sometimes in their own interest, as happened with Sheryl Crow's self-titled album.

-Christian

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There was a sticker placed over the UPC. The sticker was a UPC with the word clean at the top. When I was still at the store I thought I was nuts and went back and looked again to make sure I saw it right. This is likely some sort of mistake...
I get the idea it was a mistake of some sort.
Was it an only copy? If there were more than one, did they all have this sticker on it?
Can you actually provide the UPC code # involved? Maybe someone around here can look it up and see what it belongs to!
A couple of theories:
1) Non-law-abiding customer peals off a UPC code from a CD and puts it on the DVD in order to try to get it to scan cheaper at the register. The CD in question is a "clean version" of the item.
2) Similar to #1, except factory-based mis-tag error. Perhaps on one copy. Perhaps on a whole batch of them. Just as was suggested above by Jeff about not setting the tagging machine back correctly. Or something else factory-based, like stickering the tag onto the wrong item(s).
I'm not too concerned about this, but let's keep digging a bit. Maybe we can get to the root of this. :)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Nope, it was one more than one package. Also, the boxes were in a large plastic casing (similar to what Sam's Club sold the Godfather box-set in).

I think maybe the word clean was left in the program that prints to labels by mistake. Or perhaps some yahoo meant to put "clear" because a particular batch was going to be put in these clear plastic cases for Sam's Club, Costco, etc.

They did not have any copies of the first or third season in stock, so there was nothing to compare it to.

This is probably much ado about nothing, however I am not going to fork over $70 for something that is edited for my own protection...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
:D
actually, around here (Singapore) they sell VCDs (don't worry, fully legit and distributed by the local licensee, which I believe is either Alliance Atlantis or Warner Home Video) of the Sopranos, two episodes a volume with two discs, presumably one episode a disc.
they are undoubtedly the toned down versions that are released into syndication. same thing we get on broadcast, all the "f***in' hell" becomes "frickin' hell" etc, we hardly ever get to see the Bada Bing (for obvious reasons) and so on.
hence the added attraction of watching it on DVD...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
they are undoubtedly the toned down versions that are released into syndication. same thing we get on broadcast, all the "f***in' hell" becomes "frickin' hell" etc, we hardly ever get to see the Bada Bing (for obvious reasons) and so on.
You mean they actually cleaned it up? I don't get it-CTV broadcasts the Sopranos on broadcast TV here uncut with no problems (They've also started showing the Osbournes unbleeped-can't imagine how you'd watch it any other way). Granted, both shows are on at 10:00, but is the swearing (and violence etc) really that big a deal everywhere else?

They actually film 2 versions of each scene for the Sopranos in case they want to syndicate the show later on.
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,8526,00.html
Despite the show's intense violence and profanity, Daily Variety speculates that syndication wouldn't be a problem because the cast has already been dubbing "clean" versions of dialogue to accommodate the move to regular TV.
I wouldn't doubt that it is not a mistake and is actually the other version not seen on HBO.

Jodee

Screenwriter
The version I bought from Costco a few months ago also said "Clean" on it. I initially paused when I saw it, but I just figured it must be a reference to the packaging or security source-tagging.
The discs play fine and are completely intact: nudity, swearing & all. :)
It is safe to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks