Soprano’s A.J. Arrested – now life imitates art

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy W, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

I don’t know whether this should be posted here (in TV Shows) or in the After Hours Lounge. I’m sure an administrator will move this if I posted it in the wrong spot.
    Anyway, below is a quote from a Reuters article that is self-explanatory and sad, if the story is true.
    “Sopranos Actor Iler Arrested in New York”
    “Updated 8:59 AM ET July 5, 2001”
    “NEW YORK (Reuters) - Robert Iler, the 16-year-old actor who plays the pot-smoking troubled son of mob boss Tony Soprano on HBO's hit television show ‘The Sopranos,’ has been arrested and charged with robbery and drug possession.”
    “Iler of New York and three of his friends allegedly robbed two teen-age boys of $40 in Manhattan. The two victims had identified Iler and his friends as fitting the description of the suspects who robbed them, a police spokesman said on Wednesday.”
    “Iler's character, A.J. Soprano, has been often portrayed on the program smoking pot and cheating on school tests.”
    “When arrested, police said Iler had in his possession marijuana and a pipe.”
    “Also arrested on Wednesday with Iler was Michael Cournede, 19, of Queens, Alban Selimaj, 16, of Manhattan and a 15-year-old boy whose name was not released.”
    “Iler and his friends face up to 15 years in prison, if convicted on the top count of robbery.”
    “They were arraigned late on Wednesday in Manhattan Criminal Court. Iler pleaded not guilty and was released on bail of $2,500. His next court date was set for July 9.”

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There's a much longer story in today's NYTimes, complete with a picture of Iler being led away by police. His lawyer is quoted as saying that Iler had his back turned and didn't know that a robbery was occurring. No explanation about the grass, though.
    The reporters even tried to contact all the other cast members for comment. The only one they could reach was Tony Sirico, whose response was a curt "no comment".
    M.

3. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yes, I did read the Times story. They robbed someone of 40 bucks. 15 years? Gimme a break. But I assume that's not gonna happen anyway.
    /Mike

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I read that the writers wrote Anthony Jr. to be more like Robert Iler this past season.
    ~T

8. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

now he's going to military school for sure! seizures or not!

9. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

quote: I read that the writers wrote Anthony Jr. to be more like Robert Iler this past season.[/quote]
    Somehow I don't imagine they wrote him as an occasional pot smoking petty vandal in deference to his real life personality. [​IMG]
    You better straighten up and fly right A.J.! No fucking ziti in the cooler! [​IMG]

10. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Unbelievable! This kid must be making some serious money for someone his age and he's stealing $40???
    What's up with that?
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://members.aol.com/coolvirus/

11. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Talk about stupid.
    What's he think - Tony can just make this go away?
    And - he had his back turned so he didn't know a robbery was happening - but the victim can still ID him as part of the "gang"? He's gotta know he's one of the 10 or 20 most famous teenage actors/faces at this point in his life - so he's gonna risk being fingered for $40??
    Sad, very sad. Everybody does something stupid in their life, especially as teenagers, but this is WAAY off the charts. ("but, whaddya gonna do?")

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I don't mean to sound cold and uncaring about the kid, but what about the show? How is this going to affect the show, I mean they can't exactly write around him, he's a major charactor, can they?
    ------------------
    No Soup For You!

13. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

They will start the next season with the kid being wacked. That's how you write around him.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    No Soup For You!

15. Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M Stunt Coordinator

He's pretty lucky he's only charged with robbery and not possession of marijuana and drug paraphanalia which would double his sentence. I doubt very much he'll go to jail though...
    Seb
    ------------------
    "I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

16. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Um... was anyone from this board actually there? He is only charged with stealing the money, I certainly don't know any actual facts about what happened. Just because someone has been charged with a crime does not mean that they are actually guilty of it, not even in today's US of A.
    I would agree with the comment above that if did actual rob someone of the $40 it should be considered a very serious thing. 15 years might be rather harsh for a first offence, depending on the circumstances, but I would not be surprised if the 15 years is 13 for the pot and 2 for the robbery!
    ------------------
    -- Will Work for Five Million Dollars