What's new

Sophie's Choice in DVD (1 Viewer)

Dan M

Second Unit
According to Amazon.com Sophie's Choice is going to be released this Tuesday. I've been to about 4 other online stores and they don't have it in their database.
Anyway, I've never seen this movie but I know Merryl Streep won an Oscar for her performance. I've always thought she is one of the best actresses ever (I'm sort of a big Cate Blanchet fan here lately).
The disc specs are pretty lame but if the movie is one of those must-have types then I may pick it up. I usually don't really care what other's think when it comes to movies but is this generally regarded as a great movie?
Or is it just too depressing to reccommend? ;)
Any thoughts?

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
The original DVD was pretty good. The video was a little soft but that appeared to be the way it was filmed. It had an extremely informative documentary also. If the new release retains the documentary then it should be decent.

As to the quality. I consider "Sophie's Choice" to be one of the best movies I never want to see again. The subject is extremely powerful and all three of the principle actors turn in top notch performances. It took me over a year to psych myself up to watch it, when I bought the DVD. I have yet been able to psych myself up to watch it again. This is not the lighter type fare that you would typically watch repeatedly. I would recommend a rent, if you have never seen the movie before. I suspect that this movie is harder for people with kids to watch, then those without children. Hope this helps.

Kenneth

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
I would have to echo all of Kenneth's comments, especially that it is a great movie that you'll not likely want to watch over and over. The Green Mile was that way for me, too. It's worth watching for Meryl Streep's performance alone. Also of note, the DVD has a commentary track from the late Alan Pakula which is a good listen. I think you can pick it up very reasonably ($10 -$12).

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Great movie, but count me in the "never want to see it again" category (and I don't have kids). Tremendous performances, devastating story. I wouldn't recommend buying unless you've seen it.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I think the re-release is just repackaging the original from a snapper and replacing the ITC logo. Artisan is also doing this with On Golden Pond.
I picked Sophie up at Hastings for $1.99 ;). She was previously viewed. Pretty nice for $1.99. It has a 50 min documentary and a director's commentary. I've never watched the movie before but watched the docu and it contains spoilers galore, but I already knew what the "choice" was. I was pretty disturbed by the docu anyway.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Sophie's Choice is the most powerful movie made that relates to the Holocaust. No, it's not a party classic, but I HAVE rewatched it a few times, so I don't fit into the category of the "wouldn't want to see it again" folks - it's too moving and effective and well-done NOT to want to check it out again...

Dan M

Second Unit
Thanx everyone. Good replies

Unfortunately, I already know what the choice was that Sophie had to make. They had a documentary about this on AMC the other day. It may very well be the same documentary that's on the DVD. This is what sparked my interest in the movie.

I even know the movie ends with a double suicide

But I'm a sucker for great performances and for the price I think I'll pick this up. I believe the transfer is nonanamorphic but since I have the Panny RP91 it still should look pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks