What's new

Sophie's Choice Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ronald Epstein said:
Surprised nobody is talking about this Blu-ray release yet.

There was such a demand for it. After all, you guys sold me on it blindly.
I reviewed it a couple of weeks ago, and the review generated no discussion either. In fact, it's already been bumped to page two of the reviews forum.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Amour (2012) generated no discussion either. A film that imo is far superior to Argo (which I enjoyed very much).
Nebraska was largely ignored here as well, if I recall. As much as I enjoyed all the nominated movies, and many more, this past year, it's Nebraska that has stayed with me. I regard it as the hidden jewel in a very good year, much as you, Ron, regarded and recommended Mud.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Maybe people today, going by just the title, think Sophie's Choice will be a jaunty, high-spirited rom-com.

Like in 1980 when I went to see dePalma's Dressed to Kill, thinking it would be a fun look at the world of high-fashion modeling. Was I ever wrong...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I read Sophie's Choice in college and saw the movie theatrically. I have a check disc from the DVD Resource days (with the title hand-written on the disc) and I watched that. I think that's enough of a choice for a lifetime. As for most depressing film of all time, try Grave of the Fireflies...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Ron,

I for one am delighted that you chose to watch the film based upon our collective enthusiasm. This film is one of my all-time favorites, from standpoint of story, and the outstanding cast. My copy is in transit, and I look forward to watching it again for the first time in several years. My knowledge about such matters is too slim to carry any weight, but the look of the transfer you described is about what I expected, given the era of its release, film stock and shooting style common at the time. It's a movie I must own, and this release has to be far superior to the very early DVD edition I have.

Perhaps more discussion fill follow. This release is bound to generate a significant number of first time viewers.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I'm eagerly awaiting my copy, too. I saw the film on its first theatrical release, and was stunned by the power and depth of its emotions. It was the first time I'd seen Streep, and was completely smitten by her (and, I must admit, I was infatuated with Kline as well).

I never thought it was a depressing movie. It's certainly a heart-wrenching tragedy, but it also shows the potential joy of humanity.

The score is achingly beautiful, as well.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The disc came in today and I watched it tonight. It's the kind of film that derserves but the best for its digital incarnation. And this transfer clearly is not it. While there are no issues with digital sharpening or grain filtering the transfer has the detail, stability and "cleanliness" of a telecine scan made not recently but quite some time ago. And from an IP or internegative, not camera negative. Quite different from state of the art 4K scans on modern equipment. Watchable, but hopefully not the last word in the digital era for this multiple Oscar winner. We need a proper 4K restoration in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks