Sooner or later, HD-DVD/BR double, triple, quadruple dipping will occur.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by JediFonger, Apr 25, 2006.

1. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    an example is somn i might entertain gettin': Serenity. plain ole' vanilla HD-DVD edition with a scatter of extras. then a year later 2 DISC HD-DVD SE, then 4 DISC gift package w/entire Firefly series =).

can you feel it already?

2. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

I definitely expect this...

The current HD-DVD titles, with SD extras from the DVD, appear to be using 23-28Gb of the 30Gb capacity. In a year or two, I expect SE versions that cut out the extras from the main disk, add a lossless audio track, and bundle a second single-layer disk dedicated to high-def (and SD) extras.

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

And the choice to buy now and upgrade later or just wait is yours. This is the standard for Home Video. It worked this way with VHS, Laserdisc, DVD so of course it will be the same for HDDVD/BR.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

5. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Funny, I don't remember a lot of double, triple and quadruple dipping on VHS(except for the Star Wars Trilogy). It got out of hand with DVD and will no doubt be the same for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray which is just another of the many reasons why I'll wait before upgrading.

6. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Anyone seen multiple versions of Sony movies on DVD? I don't think they will change their ways simply because of Blu-Ray. I expect it from HD DVD too. Nature of the beast.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    And I can see double dipping going one with both sides. I see Dolby Digital Plus versions coming out first just like many DVD's came with Dolby Digital first. Then they will hit us again with another release including DTS-HD. They love to get us to buy the movie as many times as they can get us to shell out the money.

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

And some day, we will all die. I guess we better not bother living, then [​IMG]

The studios can put out whatever they want. It's up to us to buy them or not.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Why do you restrict the idea of doulbe dipping to one format? After all, regardless of the format, you're still buying a movie to watch in the home.

Take my favortie movie, JAWS, for example. The first time I owned it was on a VHS tape I recorded off of the ABC Sunday Night Movie. But, since I had to purchase the blank tape, we'll call that number one. I then bought the pre-recorded VHS tape, number two. Then I got into LaserDisc. Pan & Scan was all that was available, three. Then it went Letterbox, four. Then it went deluxe uber-box set with two hour documentary, five. DVD came out, six. Then, they decided to go with original mono soundtrack for another release, seven.

This entire time, my mortgage was always paid, food was always on the table, bills were paid on time, 401k was contributed to, etc. And I had a lot of fun getting all of those versions. So, why should I get mad at the studio for all of these releases? It's called expendable cash for a reason, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't spend it on the same movie over an over.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Guess this double-dip thing never really bothered me. If I want it, I'll buy it, if not, I won't.

I am one who doesn't watch any extras, they ruin the movie magic so unless there are major changes to the film itself I don't even consider double-dipping. Then, depending on those changes I'll weigh the cost vr content.

I am one who wishes more titles were released like the Superbit titles, movie only, no extras, best picture and sound possible.

11. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    chad, the reason (for DVDs) is this:

why not come out with a "final edition" in the first place? buy once and never have to hesitate? so unless the new improvements in technology can make the movie twice as good, the studios do not need to release ANOTHER version yet again. do it right the FIRST time =).

an example is all of the star wars on DVD right now. i have all 6, do you think i'll buy SW again on DVD if lucas re-releases it? nope. whta about extras? rent. why? it was done right the FIRST time it was released, optimizing for the format.

so if SW comes out on HD-DVD/BR, i'll buy it ONCE. then if future editions come out with lots of hoopla, forgetaboutit. it'll be a rental.

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I would probably double dip on very few items. ie, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Wars Saga, maybe Fifth Element. Everything else will probably wait until it's released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (assuming there's a dual format player available) which includes new releases.

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

So, what's the problem here? You obviously are intelligent enough to decide if you want to rebuy a specific title or not. So, if the studios do re-release a title you don't plan on double dipping on, how is this affecting you?

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There are of course, competing consumer interests: there is the group that wants ‘quick to market’, the group that wants bare-bones releases, the group that wants a lot of extras, those that want to urchase single movies as opposed to those who love box sets and the group that can’t live without the DTS label.

I suggest that meeting all of these demands is not possible with a single release. Your desire, for example, for a complete ‘final edition’ on the first release is at odds with those who want speed to market and most certainly not compatible with those who just want the movie and nothing else.

Further (and similar to the introduction of anamorphic DVDs) we will almost surely see later releases using the latest encoding techniques and with different (and possibly better) soundtracks.

15. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    imho, should starting selling the bonus as a separate product altogether. that way the movie can goto market. i'll buy it and if i'm interested in bonus, i'll buy it.

honestly though, i'd rather view the bonus the way i view TV. i've watched the bonus more than once on ANY of my DVDs except for star wars epi, "The Beginning" that was awesome. and trailers. i think that bonus material hasn't risen above mediocrity of the ones i've seen. they really can't stand alone to repeated viewings... so why "buy" this? it's a waste of $. ultimately the movie fan would love a pristine video/audio print of the movie on a replayable, non-degrading format. that's what matters.

thus, i hope they relegate bonus to what they did with king kong (production diaries). people that are obsessed, go buy it and watching 10,000x. me? rent, watch once, return. thx for not thx for keeping a copy of it. i'd rather shave $1-5 off of the SD/HD-DVD price and get movie-alone edition.

16. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

I'm really not getting your point here. At first, you complain that Hd-DVD is ripe for multiple editions, and that "Serenity" might come out with a 4 disc version in a few years after you buy the current version. If you're not interested in extras, as you just stated, why would a new version of "Serenity" with additional discs of extras bother you? You obviously aren't interested in the extras.

17. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    the issue i have is that if the new editions of classic films (40s, 50s) that include a lowry digital-washed new print, i wanna' pony up the $ for that. but i wish they would have done that in the FIRST place. that's my point =).

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    But, this is the High Def forum. There have been no releases of hardly anything, let alone any films from the 40s or 50s. So, who's to say that we won't get a nice restoration the first time for the HD medias?

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree completely with your prior post Chad, as I was about to make the same point myself.

I would observe that companies like Criterion have been using HD mastering for their DVD releases for some time. This means to me that when they do begin to release these classic movies, we will see very fine releases the first time out.

I think that your belief that the first releases of classic movies in HD will be substandard is unfounded.

20. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i know, i'm just saying why not do it correctly the first time? that's all =).

there are a lot of scrupulous studios that just dump crappy transfers to consumer media and then move on. they figure, no need to spend $ to clean. just get the movie outta the door.