What's new

Soon-to-be owner of a Pioneer 704 LD player (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With over 100 LDs still, I've being hunting for a backup LD player, I've been hunting around for such a beast, mainly on EPay, and finally got tired of getting outbidded (those bidders are nutty!) for the past month or so.
But today I saw a Pioneer CLD-D704 up for grabs, and I just bit the bullet with the buy-it-now price and went for it. Hopefully it'll arrive safe and sound within a week.
I kept thinking I wanted a dual DVD/LD player, but I already have one of those, and I have like 2 or 3 DVD players, so I thought going the LD-only route was a good choice, and that limited my search a bit further to the main Elite 79/99 or the CLD-D704 (since the dual DVD/LD player were fetching more than what I wanted to spend). So while I guess I lucked out (there's one more 704 up for grabs, but a bidding war will eventually ensue in the last waning minutes of that auction, and hopefully the final bid will be near what I paid, so I won't feel so "impatient" about the purchase). :)
Please let this LD player show up in good working order...

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Patrick,
I've got a CLD-D704 that I've had since it was new but I just got a brand new CLD-79 that I'm sending off the money for tomorrow. I'm still trying to decide if I should keep the 704 as a backup or sell it and pay for the 79. Either way I think the 704 will serve you well. Here's wishing it a safe trip. :)
Later
Jim

greg_t

Screenwriter
Congratulations on the new laserdisc Patrick. From what I've read, the 704 will offer better laser performance than a ld/dvd combo.

Jim,
Where did you find a new 79?

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Greg,
One of the members on another forum had a new CLD-99 and CLD-79 from the company he worked for. They have been sitting in a warehouse and he just purchased them when they decided to clean out some old inventory. Somebody beat me to the CLD-99 but I snagged the 79. He told me if he doesn't receive the payment for the 99 in 10 days he will give me next shot. Hopefully he won't hear from that buyer again :)
Later
Jim

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Patrick, the CLD-D704 should become your best gal. Jim, I hope you find find your new player satisfactory! Best wishes cats!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I just got the check from Fed Ex (I got in December when they dumped it upside on my doorstep) since they messed up my drawer on my elite 79. Boy Insurance sucks when you try to collect
Make sure he marks the box 'this side up' so they dont screw up your drawer.
Good luck!

Hi Rachael....hows the condo coming?
If you have any questions etc., feel free to email me. I pretty much rebuilt my 1896 condo myself.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, the foundation and basement walls will be done soon. They're pouring some of the concrete tomorrow. I'm supposed to occupy it in September!
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
A friend of my brother's is working on it. Today he was waterproofing the cinder blocks that hold the earth back for the basement walls. I go by nearly every day. He keeps me briefed. Grant, hopefully I won't have to rebuild my condo till about 2096. Best wishes!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Patrick, awesome!! I hope the pricing was good??

I have a few extra players right now, if anybody is interested...Elite 99, 704, Yamaha 901. Yamaha ADP demod, etc

TimG

Second Unit
While on the subject, I just won a bid for a 504. I finally got tired of waiting for Star Wars so I got the Trilogy and bought a LD player. (Stay tuned for the announcement of the dvd's any day now :D ) Just wondering if I should check anything particular before firing it up after I receive the player? Or should I just throw a disc in and see what happens? Thanks.
TimG

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) Patrick, two of the four walls of my home theatre are now clearly evident. Plus, I will be installing one or more LD players in there... So, it's hardly off subject! Best wishes!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Gregg,
I would also like to know what you would be asking for the 99?

TimG,
congratulations on your first laserdisc player. There is only one thing I can think of to check, and I'm not sure if your player has one or not, but some older players come with a transit screw that is on the back panel of some players. I would check to see if your player has one, and if so, remove it before powering it up. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

It's nice to have a good laserdisc thread going.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Yes Gregg.....how much for the 99?:D Patrick, you have been busy. What is your other player? The 704 is good enough that it might take the place of that player in your main system. I have a 79(Elite'd 704) and had a 703 and 704 before......and it is an awesome player. It even makes a fine CD transport since it has an audio-only feature that shuts down the video section. Good luck and hope your player arrives in pristine shape!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Damn, there's a lot of LD love in this thread, almost enough to make a grown man cry.

I've given a lot of thought to moving my DVL-909 out and moving the 704 into the HT if it survives the shipping gauntlet, and retiring the DVL-909 into the bedroom setup.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
One word of warning about the 704, many many of them had a "white streak" bug. It was discussed at length at AVS Forums. No solution was found. Apparently some 97, 99 and LD-S9s are affected as well. As the previous owner of a 704 plagued by this bug I can assure you it is no rumor. I actually traded it in for a DVL-909 because it bothered me so much (unfortunately, the 909 has undefeatable DVNR which bugs me just as much!! )
As a result, I'm now hunting for a 701, 703, or Elite 97 that I can drop an AC-3 mod into.
-Lyle J.P.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
LOL, wow, such a response.

Ill do some posting in the Hardware For Sale Area. The first to respond with "Ill take it" will get what they want.

Regards

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, welcome to the 704 club. My 704 is my meat and potatoes LD player that gets the most use.
Lyle_JP, If the smear issue is a big concern to you why are looking into the 701 and 703. Both units have the problem as well.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Hey Rachael,
Long time no talk to. Thanks for the good wishes on the new player. It may not be any better than what I've got now but I couldn't pass up a brand new Elite unit :)
Man I bet you can't wait for the new home to be done.
Good Luck
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks