What's new

sonytae9000es (1 Viewer)

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
I would like some input on the performance of this sony processor compared to others on the market. Do the sony surround modes do a good job with five speakers?
I have a Denon 4802 I use as a pre for dts and d/d, will the sony out perform it in movies? (I think the center channel can be hard to hear voices sometimes even running it 2db hot) Do some units as I have read give better center channel results. Supposedly the Lex is the best with Logic 7, but what if you only run the main five speakers? I hear some units are noisier than others, some with better separation, etc...
Any input or opinions would be appreciated.
btw..2 channel sound is not a requirement because I will pass the unit with the TAP9000es, but the wife does listen to multichannel "Hell Freezes Over" (doesn't everybody)?
thanks again
Andy

Phil Rose

Agent
Andy,
I think that the TA-E9000ES is a great processor and mine has served me well since early 1999 however, I suspect that you won't find a lot of difference between it and your 4802. Maybe someone who has experience with both can tell you for sure. You might want to ask your question on Link Removed and see what they say. I think that the Sony is great all around and might serve you very well. Also, be aware that there is a new unit, TA-E10ES, that is rumored to be released very soon by Sony.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should save your money as the 9000es would not be a good upgrade from the 4802.

Both are fine receivers but to me, it's the difference between an Acura and a Lexus. Side grade?

T.

Martice

Screenwriter
Congrats on the TAP!! :emoji_thumbsup:
(I think the center channel can be hard to hear voices sometimes even running it 2db hot) Do some units as I have read give better center channel results.
Sounds like a center speaker placement issue. How and where do you have your center channel positioned? I know you calibrated your channels with a SPL meter right?
WHat speakers do you have?

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Martice,
the center speaker is on a shelf above the rptv. this actually puts it about 5 1/2 feet off the floor but angled with a laser toward the listening position (which helped).
I have Psb Stratus silver i mains and A Def Tech 2500 center. I guess one of the things I am looking for, is that I don't seem to get that engrossing surround field while watching movies. That is why the question if some do a better job than others. I also use external amps with more headroom and power. I do use rear mono poles (as I have four of the psb's) and the sony literature states the surround fields created electronically reposition and phase to move the speakers around? Yes I also use a Spl meter.
thanks
andy

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I went from a Denon 3300 to a TAE9000ES to a Rotel 1066 so I have some familiarity with those models...IMO the TAE was an upgrade from the Denon but its not night and day different. IMO the Sony tends to be more open sounding then the Denon even on movies so it *might* help open that centre channel. The Sony also has far more options for configuring speakers then the Denon which might also help out. All that in mind I'm not sure I can really recomend the TAE anymore. Simply put its a dated model that has some drawbacks which could limit your choices down the road. Of course since you have the TAP the lack of analog inputs is taken care of so really other then the lack of true 6.1 proccessing and PLII it should do you well. If you can find one at a reasonable price ($500 - $800US) it would be worth it...any more then that and I'd look at the Outlaw, Rotel or a used Lexicon.

Martice

Screenwriter
I have Psb Stratus silver i mains and A Def Tech 2500 center
Matching center channel MAY help and in many folks will say "it's the best you can do besides having 3 matching speakers".

If you're not getting the enveloping sound that you're looking for in the front 3 channels, the center position although it is laser positioned still may be the culprit. If the timbre between different speakers is off enough, it can cause a break in the overall front picture which has to be convincing enough to pull you in. Any reason why you're using the Def Tech instead of the matching PSB offerings?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would agree:

Not much difference between the 4802 and the E9000ES. Wait for something you want with DPL II, DD EX, DTS-ES, analog 5.1 input, etc.

Martice

Screenwriter
I had DEf Techs all around and switched to the PSB. Have not yet purchased the center.
That could be PART of the reason why you're not getting that enveloping effect when you watch movies. I'm pretty sure that you considered this already right? Also, when I had my Gold i's, I had these Yamaha bookshelf speakers for surrounds. The sound would sound big coming from the fronts but when it came out of the surrounds it sounded skinny and ruined the surround effect. The sounds coming out of the surrounds sounded like effects and not like real sounds, although many who heard my system loved the total effect. What I did was purchase a pair of Technics floor standing speakers (not full range) that were on close out at the local consumer electronics chain and I use them as surrounds. The sound is nice and full and realistic. The sounds maintain a certain 'thickness' that first comes out of the fronts and really swallows you up and continues to the rears. I can only describe it as having almost full range all around with the timbre and tone of the surrounds maintaining realism and power.

I don't know your room or flexibility but this helped me when I had this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks