What's new

Sony's Upcoming DVP-NS755V DVD Player May Have The Chroma Bug! (1 Viewer)

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Today was a sad day. I had reserved a Sony DVP-NS755V DVD player from OneCall (for $269). It was set to come in at the end of this month. However after reading a post from a reliable DVD source (Robert George aka "Obi"), sounds like this player will have the dreaded Chroma Bug. In fact, it may be the worst of it's kind. So today I cancelled my order and now I'm in a "wait & see" mode. :-(
Here's what Robert George wrote on the AVS Forum:
"I tested a NS715 just today (Monday, July 8th) and it not only has the chroma bug, but it is about the worst I have seen. The dealer with the 715 claims the 755 is essentially a 715 with SACD added."
Thread web link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=138986
Why haven't DVD manufacturers figured out a fix for this bug yet? I can't believe a quality company like SONY would release a brand new player with this unresolved. The new 755 DVD player had so much potential (12-bit, 108mhz video with 192kHz/24-bit audio). It seemed like a slam dunk for new DVD owners or for those seeking an upgrade from their existing player. But now, it appears it's going to ship with a major defect that will negate all the other good benefits.
I'm crossing my fingers that Sony can get this fixed before releasing it in a few weeks. But I think that may be a pipe dream.
Does anyone have a list of current DVD players that do not have the Chroma Bug? It appears I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a new DVD player. :-(

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, if this is true, this is terribly disappointing. However, I am not so surprised. It seems like only Kenwood, Matsushita, and those companies using their platforms, meaning those using the right chips, have gotten the video right. For some reason, most manufacturers have not decided to really tackle this problem. Anyway, Sony players have always shown the chroma bug, so why should the 'NS755V be any different? ;)

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Does someone have a list of new progressive DVD players that utilize the Kenwood or Matsushita decoders that have been tested and do not contain the chroma bug?

The only one I know is the Panasonic RP-56 or 91.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I don't have such a list. However, I would guess the Panasonic 'RP62 and 'RP82 would not show the chroma bug. I don't know why Matsushita would change parts now. I believe the 'RP62 is out, but I don't think the 'RP82 is yet. In addition, the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 and Denon DVD-1600 do not show the chroma bug. Perhaps the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5050M and '5900M 403-disc megachangers don't either. Someone informed in another thread that the older Rotel RDV-1080 (older, but still current) does not show the chroma bug. I thought it did.

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Keith.

Right now I'm strongely considering the new Toshiba SD-4800? Have you heard anything about it (whether it has the Chroma Bug and if it's a solid player)?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I have heard nothing about the Toshiba '4800 other than it is coming out. What about the Panasonic 'RP82? It isn't out yet either, but it too will offer DVD-Audio. More importantly for you, I imagine, is that the 'RP82 should not show the chroma bug. I say this based on the behavior or recent Panasonic progressive-scan players.

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Now, I'm leaning towards a Denon 3800 player! However, it's quite a jump from my original plan of getting the Sony 755 ($1200 for the Denon vs. $300 for the Sony) This is painful. However, it seems to meet the specs I was looking for in the first place.

*Progressive Output (12-bit/108mhz video)
*24-bit/192khz audio (coaxial plug)

It uses the new Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine (said to be the highest quality progressive decoding engine available).

But I still don't know if it has the Chroma Bug (maybe you can help, Keith). I know you said the Denon 1600 does not.
Heard anything on this unit?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It uses the new Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine (said to be the highest quality progressive decoding engine available).
This is top drawer and recommended. However, I would be careful to say the highest quality as I think the latest Faroudja video chips may have the edge there. They are very expensive, however.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, the Denon DVD-3800 was discussed quite a bit here when it came out. It shows the chroma bug, but some say it is not severe. Anyway, do a search for more information.
The '3800 has 24/192 DACs, but I don't know what 24/192 output through a coaxial digital output would do for you. You have to use the 5.1-channel outputs for DVD-Audio playback. There are no 24/192 sources available that can be played through digital outputs. The exception would be if the '3800 upsampled CDs to 24/192, but I don't think it does that.
EDIT
Martin, I just checked out the '3800 on Crutchfield's web site, and as I would have thought, it can output a 24/96 bitstream via the digital outputs, not 24/192. That makes sense. So, you can play 24/96 DADs through the digital outputs with no loss of resolution (i.e., no downsampling to 48 kHz). That is very common on DVD players these days.

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
Every review of the 715P from this forum and two others (AVS and the SPOT) have been very positive with the exception of Robert George's. Even the Shootout review from last summer that focused on the different deinterlacing chips and the chroma but gave the 715P's predacessor, the 700P high marks by saying...
Link Removed
Just about every other player at this price point displays "issues" of some sort or other. Even the highly regarded RP-56 is reported to have a "flicker" bug even though it apparently does not have the "chroma" bug. It is interesting to me that a brief comment by one person is enough to make others disregard this player with no other consideration. Is it a Sony thing?
;)
Todd

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Todd, it seems as though Martin needed more opinions. Granted, he was going on the opinion of a highly respected individual, but it is still just one opinion. This thread, however, gives people the opportunity to provide alternative opinions. Hopefully the 'NS755V isn't as bad as Martin fears it is.

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't have said it any better, Keith. I'm certainly hoping the Sony 755 does not have "the worst looking version of the Chroma Bug". Thats why I stated earlier that I'm in a wait and see mode. However, as a consumer I can't take a risk of making the purchase from Onecall.com (as you can't return an item unless it's severly defective). Not sure the Chroma bug would apply.

Now if the 755 turns out to be a great player and the chroma error is minimal, then I'll place another order.

Right now, the leading contenders for my $$$ are...

Toshiba 4800, Kenwood 5700 & Denon 3800 or 1600. Anyone else have some suggestions for a progressive DVD player (without or a very minor trace of the Chroma Bug)?

Thanks for all your input (espeically Keith).

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I wouldn't discount a player based only on a cursory inspection by one individual. Obi has always been a firm Panasonic loyalist, and has never owned a Sony I believe; not that this makes his comments less valid.
Anyway, Sony players have always shown the chroma bug, so why should the 'NS755V be any different? ;)
Stangely, the DVP-S7000 did not suffer from the chroma bug, as it used a proprietary Sony MPEG decoder. As far as I know, every Sony player since has shown the problem.
Adam

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I broke down and bought a Sony DVP-NC655P Progressive 5-disc DVD changer today. Chroma bug or no this is what I'm sticking with for the next 2-3 years. I just couldn't pass up on the features of the Sony 655 for an out the door price of $239 at OneCall.com.
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_15356.htm
Mr. Chroma and I will learn to coexist and life will be swell... I hope. ;-)

Christopher LM

Auditioning
I have been following a number of the posts in regard to both the latest Sony DVD and Panasonic DVD players.

I have both the Panasonic RP-62 and Sony 715P. Supposedly, the Panasonic does not suffer from the chroma bug. If that is the case, I have not noticed the chroma bug with the 715p when comparing the two playesr in progressive mode on a toshiba 50H81.

If the Sony does suffer from the chroma bug, it certainly is not "the worst chroma bug of any player" as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also, if anyone spends enough time analyzing the image quality, you are going to find something wrong with each player especially the models priced between between 150 to 300 dollars.

For instance, in Progressive mode, The Panasonic rp-62 annoyingly shifts the image vertically so the top black bar on a 2:35-1 movie is visibily shorter than the bottom bar. This is not an overscan problem with the TV rather a problem with the players compatibility in progressiv emode with certain brands of TV. The mnore expensive Phillps players (q50) also suffers from this same problem.

Or on the sony-715p, while watching end credits, the scrolling of the credits is far from smooth compared to the Panasonic.

The bottom line is that the image quality of the players today still blows aways the quality of even just a couple of years ago. I have owned about 20 DVD players since DVD first came out back when there was a "seven city" roll out when the technology first became available.

Very rarely have I heard about a player that was the "perfect player" with no issues whatsoever. People who wait specifically for the next manufacturer to release the latest model are only going to become frsutrated when someone discovers an issue with that player as well. If there was such a player thatw as perfect, no other manufactuere would be able to compete because we would all buy the one "perfect player"

Just my opinion.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Stangely, the DVP-S7000 did not suffer from the chroma bug, as it used a proprietary Sony MPEG decoder. As far as I know, every Sony player since has shown the problem.
Well, actually, the DVP-S3000 (which was really just a stripped down 7000) didn't have the bug either. It was when the second generation players with the three-digit model numbers started showing up that the chroma bug was introduced to the Sony line.

-Lyle J.P.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam,
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to Sony's progressive-scan players released thus far.
Christopher,
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your hands-on experience with two competitive models. Are you still evaluating the two players, or have you decided which one you will keep? I assume you will keep only one of them.
Martin,
Congratulations on your purchase. The 'NC655P, huh? Wow, that came out of nowhere. ;) The 'NC655P looks to offer a lot for the money. I hope it works out for you. Let us know!

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
I should be receiving my NC655P DVD player later on this week and will be watching some movies over the weekend. I'll let you know the results. There's a very good chance it will have the chroma bug. I just hope it's not that visable. If my fiance spots it, then we have a problem. ;-)

Now that I got my DVD purchase out of the way, it's on to picking a HDTV-ready widescreen RPTV. 1st choice, the upcoming Sony 65" WV700. Second, the new Toshiba 65" (can't think of the model #, but it's the one that can be detached from the screen and base for easy transporting). Both units are DVI-HDCP compliant.

See you all in the Display Device Forum. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, it never ends, does it? ;) I'm sure some folks could help you out regarding an HDTV over on the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors) board. Best of luck in that purchase as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks