Sony's September Westerns; more Randolph Scott...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Jun 23, 2005.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    According to Canadian etailer DVD Soon, Sony's September slate of westerns is The Last Frontier, (I'm guessing it's the 1955 Anthony Mann western with Victor Mature), The Longest Drive (the '76 TV movie with Kurt Russell?), then a slew of Randolph Scott oaters A Lawless Street, Man in the Saddle, Ten Wanted Men, Santa Fe and The Stranger Wore a Gun.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Of course the DVD of THE STRANGER WORE A GUN will most likely only include a modified flat print instead of offering a field sequential 3-D option. Too bad, it is one of the coolest of the many westerns shot in 3-D back in the 1950's. (They also did the flat only DVD thing with GUN FURY.) Luckily I was able to see both of these in amazing, polarized, clear glasses 3-D on the big screen a couple of years back.

STRANGER is the first of two 3-D westerns Scott appeared in. The second, THE BOUNTY HUNTER, was never released in stereoscopic form though, as it was released after the exhibitors were sick of the hassle!

Any DVD release is welcome though.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    With all of the stuff they have out there, I wonder what has presented Sony from releasing Scott's best western done under their shingle, "The Tall T", on DVD.

Regards,

4. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I hope the quality of these new ones is way better than the dreadful transfer that Columbia just released of Gun Fury. The first 30 minutes look like something you would find in the $1.00 DVD bin at your local gas station. After 30 minutes, the quality improves from abysmal to mediocre the rest of the way. Columbia should offer anyone that buys this a full refund plus a coupon for a free DVD.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I can't say I liked The Tall T much at all, but it would seem like a natural to release since there's a new 35mm print or two running around, meaning there's good source materials.

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I saw The Last Frontier and The Stranger Wore A Gun recently on TV.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Sure you can. All you have to do is precede it by "I can't say...". Me, I can't say delicates..., delict.., ... oh, never mind, I'll just call it a deli and order my sandwich. [​IMG]

Regards,

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Sony........Westerns on DVD.........Randolph Scott......

No Tall T or any of the other Boetticher films?

How disappointing. [​IMG]

9. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I just saw the covers of the Randolph Scott DVD's on Sony's website. Yechhhhh.

Look! There's Randolph Scott looking to the left. Wow! There's one of him looking to the right. And another looking straight ahead. But wait! There's another one and the big Randolph head has moved to the upper right corner. Sony...how daring you are.

I hate "big head" covers!

Sony, Paramount and MGM are the worst offenders in this but they all do it for the most part except for Warners who do everything right.

Why do movie studios go to all the trouble to design advertisements for their movies and then when they release them on DVD, they don't use them and just slap on these head shots of the star or stars? It's ugly and depressing.

10. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

Due to the lack of the Boetticher/Scott Ranown Westerns I wonder if Sony is waiting for a promotion. Those films would make a wonderful boxset! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

11. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

would love to see the Last Frontier in its original scope ratio and with the original 4.0 sound.

12. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    STRANGER WORE A GUN was originally 3-D and full-coat magnetic 3 channel stereophonic sound (left, center, right.) I believe those tracks are now lost.