Sony's ongoing Double-Dip Series: Big Fish

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Christian Preischl, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Yup, you read right. The pointless Sony double-dip continues, and now it's Big Fish. Release date is November 1st, no details yet except that there'll be some sort of collectible book included. Cover art over at DVD Answers

I'll keep further comments to myself, cause what's the point? Nothing that hasn't been said over and over already in similar threads. [​IMG]

Chris

2. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    [​IMG]

Imagine if you actually bought all these double-dip DVDs, you'd have a collection that's nothing but duplicates!

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I dont think Sonys crappy booklet will be able to contend with my R3 Korean set...

All this pocket gouging on the part of Sony and Universal are starting to get to me, do these companies have no business ethics whatsoever?

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    What do "business ethics" have to do with it?? What's unethical about releasing the same title multiple times??

The reason they keep doing this is because people keep buying them. Don't like it? Don't buy 'em. Simple as that.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Exactly. I loved Big Fish but I already have it. The end.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

It has everything to do with it.

An efficient company is one who releases a top-notch product the first time around and doesn't look back. This isn't 1998, there's no reason that we should be seeing all of these retreads. It's nothing more than corporate greed trying to squeeze every last penny these companies can from consumers rather than focussing on how they can extend their properties and offer *shock* NEW quality releases done right. Universal especially. If they intend to bank on home video sales of prior released product for the next 3 years, I anticiapte they'll be in for quite a rude awakening. These studios might not have as extensive libraries as Warner Bros. or Fox but they're not even scratching tghe surface, putting minimal effort into past issued releases with little to no improvement and showing no signs of progression for future titles...

Hopefully with Sony's recent MGM catalogue acquirement, things will improve once the studios is able to fully integrate and we will see many more new-to-DVD releases scheduled.

When's the last time you actually marked off an upcoming title with the anticipation garnered from studios like WB, Disney, Criterion, etc for a Universal release?

Apart from their Hitchcock catalogue, I can't honestly remember...

7. Dustin Elmore

Dustin Elmore Stunt Coordinator

Some might say an efficient company is one that makes the most amount of money out of each of their films. That is their sole interest. Did you not think the original DVD was a Top-notch release? If you didn't you shouldn't have bought it, and if you did then there isn't any reason for you to get this one. It's always your choice no matter how you want to look at it.

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

The original release is perfectly fine.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I don't know if the original release was perfect or not cause I opted for an import release which went all out on presentation and content over whatever Sony put out, good or bad.

I don't care regardless; I have no intention of buying this new release and never did.

Nor do I care that Sony is reissuing it either. In fact, all that I ever said was that I was getting tired of this sort of thing, as I'm sure others are too.

It's absolutely unnecessary.

Thank you all for clarifying and telling me that I'm not obligated to purchase though.. I was steaming mad when I thought they were going to force me to buy this DVD that I already owned!

I greatly appreciate your helping me to discern.

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

What you call efficiency, I call a breach of fiduciary duty.

DJ

11. PaulP

PaulP Producer

And what does this import version has that the regualar release doesn't?

12. Nowadays you really have think before you buy and having ESP doesn't hurt either.

Current examples like 'Closer' and 'Sin City' are largely devoid of extras.

I remember some Fox titles from last year that also seemed very 'light' and were quickly reissued.

Sometimes you can almost smell the double-dip in the wind.

I don't really agree with this kind of thing and think studios should put their best effort forward on the initial release.

Alot of people are passing on 'light' releases and opting to wait, but when a better version arrives will anyone care?

Studios might do better (in terms of sales) if they put out good movies on loaded DVDs when people are actually thinking about buying.

They should stop playing games and make it a 'no brainer', like the recent 'Aviator' release.

This is entertainment spending and ultimately non-essential.

The last thing you want is people stopping and thinking about it, they'll probably decide to save the $20 for their gas tank.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

[​IMG]

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So, what are the specs? Looks like the same disc to me.

15. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Frank's quote describes exactly why the movie industry is in trouble, and why the former gold mine of DVD sales isn't what it used to be. But it also underscores the point that this in the end, you're still getting mad on something that won't affect your life. Of all of the gripes that come out of this forum, I'd have to say that double-dips with useless extras are probably the most futile and worthless ones.

16. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Just say to no to Sony and their re-release repackagings.

17. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Didn't the actor who played the giant recently pass away? Perhaps that's why this is being released...

18. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

An argument could be made about releasing films based on their artistic merits and turning those artistic merits into profitability. Criterion does this all the time.

Sony is certainly capable of good marketing; one only needs to look at their Superbit releases and how well received most of them seem to be among home theater enthusiasts. I'm pretty sure they could create a "brand" for lesser known films and bring some added value to those films. They could employ themes, similarly to MGM's Midnite Movies line which got me interested in films I probably would have largely ignored were they presented differently.

I don't think the studio needs to be called names over this particular double-dip; simply ignore it if you already own the previous version. But I have to agree with some of the posts in this thread -- this new release of Big Fish does seem pointless. Maybe there will be a tie-in or some marketing effort we don't yet know about, but at the moment I do wish Sony had spent their energy on films not yet released to DVD.

19. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

The paradox I see is that if everyone becomes 'trained' to skip initial releases and opt for the inevitable second release "super edition", won't this create some issues about the popularity of the film and raise doubt about it's re-release profitability? "No one bought it the first time. Why should we spend more to release it when it may not sell again?"

And I cannot believe anyone on this forum is trying to defend the despicable act of this form of double-dipping! Maybe you have plenty of money to give to the studios over and over for the same movie, but I assure you, sir, that I do not. As big a movie fan as I am, I hate it when I spend money on a film I love only to be disappointed at the news it will be re-released down the road with more extras, etc. Since I have an interest in the filmmaking process itself, supplements like behind-the-scenes docs and commentaries are huge educational opportunities for me. I can understand it with back catalogs, but this blantant scamming (like Big Fish, Eternal Sunshine, etc.) is uncalled for.

20. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I don't know how many times this needs to be said: If you don't want to give money to the studios, you don't have to. 99% of companies, especially large ones like Sony, are in this for the money, not the respect, so witholding the former is much more effective than witholding the latter. Also, if we become "trained" to skip initial releases, the studios are the ones who lose money. We don't lose the the original product.

Look, I'm not defending this type of double-dipping, I'm just incredulous that people keep on complaining about how much it pains them, personally. You'll notice I specifically mentioned "useless extras" above. There's a difference between a large amount of BTS extras and/or new transfer elements and just a picture book, like this one.

I believe that (in most cases), you have every right to be upset if you bought into an initial release with no expectation of any additional extras, and then were offered something of substance later. However, to complain about a release that you are informed will be revisited with better content, or to complain about a worthless re-release that you know you won't buy into, seems utterly pointless. In the first case, they're merely trying to capitalize on the product. To do otherwise would be bad business, because they know that the vast majority of buyers will buying it primarily or entirely for the feature alone. In the second case, they're attempting to revitalize the product, because of tie-ins, or contractual obligations, or what have you. In neither situation are you being forced or even encouraged to double-dip based on the information you have.