What's new

Sony's new digital amplifier (SACD) question (1 Viewer)

BrunoB

Auditioning
I am trying to find more infos on Sony 's all-digital amplification AV receivers (AVD-S50ES, AVD-C70ES). I checked the Crutchield www site, but they don't have much data on the new amplifier technology.
I am interested in these two new machines because they might be the best SACD playback machines: the signal is converted to analog at the speaker terminals. The amplifier might do his job in DSD (Sony's digital high resolution sound format). If this is true, then be normal redbook CD's are probably upsampled to DSD.
Thanks in advance for any links or informations.
Bruno
------------------
Edited January 19th
I forgot to write that theses are receiver/DVD/SACD combos.
I also found a Sony press release, but unfortunately without much details:
SONY BRIDGES ADVANCED PERFORMANCE WITH LIFESTYLE CONVENIENCE IN NEW INTEGRATED DIGITAL A/V RECEIVERS
Further search lead me to this PDF product information from which I found:
"
The Ultimate Home Theater Solution From signal to amplification,
Sony has achieved a quantum leap in technology, the digital
handshake. Traditionally once signal is output from a SACD,
DVD, or CD processing occurs in the digital domain where the signal
is converted back to analog to be amplified. It is within this
process where noise can be introduced into the signal. However,
with the new Digital Drive Amplifier the signal to amplification, the
process occurs entirely in the digital domain. This allows for greater
linearity, improved signal to noise ratio and lower signal distortion."

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Bruno,
Interesting theory, but SACD players only output an analog signal due to copy concerns.

Even if this is overcome, DSD isn't suitable as a speaker-driving format. Some lower-sampling-frequency PWM approach would be required. As far as I know, no one has been able to produce a truly high-quality digital switching amplifier (class D) that covers the full frequency range, but perhaps Sony has mastered this.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Increasingly faster switching speeds are required for a digital amp to produce higher frequencies. Up until very recently digital amps were relegated to subwoofer duty. The current state of the art is just barely capable of 20Hz to 20kHz, so we're just starting to see full range receivers with them and standalone amps intended for full range operation. But SACD supports frequencies of up to at least 50kHz. While these are well past the audible threshhold, these sounds can influence the sound we can hear, which is why they are included. So class D + SACD may not be the best combo. On the other hand, in a couple of years time we may all be using class D amps.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The Sharp SACD/digital amp combination works this way but no Sony SACD player has a direct DSD link.

BrunoB

Auditioning
I bought a Sony AVD-S50ES. My first impressions after one day are :
+ very sweet, detailed sound. A delight for the ears.
+ normal CD's seem to sound almost as good as SACD's
- lack power, no punch, compressed dynamic, very weak bass, needs a sub even with full range speakers
- DVD picture is not as crisp and colorfull as my Sony DVP-500NV, which does not have progressive scan
- cooling fan
After a few days:
+ bass and power improve
+ I have to tune my HDTV (Samsung) differently to get a good picture from a progressive scan source
Bruno
See more details here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...13#post1361113

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks