What's new

Sony's first serious salvo against Xbox Live? (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hey, all. Came across this article today while goofing off at work. :) Looks like Sony is getting serious about competing in the online arena. In summary:

Developers could have Sony PlayStation grid-fueled games ready for use by the fall, Li said.
What do you all think? Sounds to me like Sony is stepping up and meeting the only real challenge that the Xbox has been able to trump the PS2 in so far--online play. And where does this leave Nintendo if online play takes off in a major way next year?

JayV

Supporting Actor
This is great news, Dave. I think the winner of this battle will be the end-user.

-j

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think Nintendo will probably play it safe with less online games and probably charge a fee to use all of their first party games (like $10 a month to play all Nintendo games online instead of charging for each one).

I wonder if Sony will make this network free to use or if they'll pull a XBL and require an annual fee.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
The grid structure uses an array of powerful servers ? linked together to form a supercomputer ? that supply computing cycles to meet game players? demands. Sony will lease access to the IBM-Butterfly-owned technology for three years. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
This sounds a lot like the "cell" technology that they'll use for PS3. I don't think we'll see this happening on the PS2. If anything, Sony just needs to put out more online software, and that's definitely happening. This "shared cycle" computing thing requires the hardware to work with it, and the PS2 doesn't work that way, as far as I know.

Once again, I think the online battle will come down to software. What online games are coming out for Xbox? I know there's that True Fantasy MMORPG. What else? I know Xbox Live had a decent launch with all the shooters, but what's down the line to go up against Everquest, Auto Modellista, Syphon Filter, FFXI, Bomberman, Colony Wars, My Street etc.?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You forgot to mention GT4! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: If it's quick service that isn't cluttered with 56k'ers it sounds like it may 1-up XBL. Like Jay said, the real winners are the users.

IBM Press Release

JayV

Supporting Actor
What online games are coming out for Xbox?
Setting aside all the FPS's, sports games, and titles that only support downloadable content, upcoming Live titles include, but are not limited to:

Midtown Madness and PGR 2 on the racing side of things. Live-enabled RPG's include True Fantasy Online and PSO.
There is also Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Outlaw Volleyball
There is talk of a Live-enabled Steel Battalion and IGN claims that Armada 2: Star Command will be Live-enabled.

As for Nintendo, isn't conventional wisdom now that a multiplatform approach (a la Sega) is a solid business decision?

-j

Camp

Senior HTF Member
It's got to be something...I don't see why they'd need such special hardware for a regular online network. I mean, I haven't had a single problem with Xbox Live and I don't recall them touting such fabulous server hardware.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Unless they figure out a way to integrate voice communication into every game, Live will still have a huge advantage over the PS2 online.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Good for Sony! I seriously wonder though if this is intended for PS2 or PS3 though, seems like any big networking plans for PS2 would be a "patch" at best. PS2 just wasn't set up with the express purpose of online service like Xbox was. The mere mention of playing MGS or GTA online makes my mouth water though...

Nintendo will do the same thing they always do: lag and ride the 2nd wave. They will wait until way after the fact and then release one or two awesome games that are online-only, like Metroid, Zelda, or Mario. Enough people will flock to their service to play just those two games that they will makes skads of cash on it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo will do the same thing they always do: lag and ride the 2nd wave. They will wait until way after the fact and then release one or two awesome games that are online-only
They're going to wait to see if it catches on as much as Sony and MS are banking on. If it seems profitable and extremely popular, they'll jump on quicker.

They have a plan, but they're waiting. They're even developing some online games now.

Jason Price

Second Unit
If this actually comes to fruition for PS2, and the model is similar to XBL, I'm looking forward to seeing EA backtrack on their reasons for not XBL enabling their games...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks