What's new

Sony's First Blu-ray Player: Finally Shipping? (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Okay, so it is not really their first BD player, if you count the PS3, and I guess I certainly do. But here is the release news.

Now the real question is, since in all reality, it will probably be after the first of the year before most will be able to get their hands on one of these babies, will anybody bother, when they can pick up a PS3 BD player for 400.00 less?:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
But then again there's the reality that you CAN'T pick up a PS3, or, if you do, you pay much more then MSRP for it thanks to them being in such short supply.

And if the PS3 clips blacker than black and whiter than white as word has it, it doesn't interest me as a player; even if it had all the audio features I wanted, it won't cut it for me until that potential issue is resolved. Dark, undetailed pictures aren't for me. Already experienced that with my old Philips DVD player from hell.

Hopefully, the Sony and Pioneer players won't suffer the same shortcoming. Though I think Toshiba had a similar problem with one of its earlier firmwares.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

My guess is that the same will go with the Sony BD player. Oh well, it still is cheaper than buying a PS3 (on ebay):laugh: .

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Actually, already owning a first gen BD player (Samsung) and first gen HD player (Xa1) I think I will hold off on all new first gen hardware until well after CES. I will look into again when Pioneer Elite releases a receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD, and fully supports HDMI 1.3, and Panasonic releases a 1080p projector that supports a fully functional 1.3 port. That should put my next purchase well into 07, and maybe into 08.

Maybe by then, the War will have settled down a bit, but I kind of doubt it.:P

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Thomas. I have the Sammy and the HDA1, and even though some of the newer players tempt me, what I have will be fine until some of the dust settles in this crazy war.

Arman

Screenwriter
I called one of my 3 local BBs (all within 30 miles away from my place) and somebody over there said they all don't have it yet (and that none are being shipped yet from their nearest warehouse), however, the BB 120 miles away has 4 of this sweet looking machine.

Superman Returns is awesome looking in my PS3 so I'll probably just settle for now (thru end of 2007? :D) with it (and Xbox 360 for HD).

So if you want to be one of the first to get it, call your local BB first thing tomorrow then ask CSR in Electronic dept to check BB's computer system which store near your place has it. ;)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yes, they are in stock. (at least the Las Vegas Best Buy).

$999

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Vegas has two of them. I got talking to the salesman about it and he was really surprised they had them. I told him he was one of the first in the country. He asked if I was interested in one, and I said I'm waiting for a PS3 due to the price. He said, "Want it for $899?" I asked if he was serious, he said "Hey, a sale's a sale." I pushed for $849, but they couldn't do it. Still, I didn't go for it, but it was damn tempting. As much as I prefer the format, I just can't accept $1k when the HD DVD's are half that for the same images (basically) and upgraded audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks