Sony's DVD Preview practices

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Rogers, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Once upon a time, Sony DVD's usually have a selection of trailers available from the menu that were anamorphic and 5.1. I loved it.

And now I got Zathura and on the previews menu all the trailers are 2 channel and some are not anamorphic. They also usually use to have the trailer for the movie on the DVD and the Zathura trailer is not there in any form.

Memo for Sony. When the trailers were 5.1 and anamorphic I always watched them at least once. The 5.1 mixes on the trailers always had good flashy 5.1 effects.

I have less interest in checking out trailers when they are 2 channel and 4:3.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    But at least there are trailers. Most other companies seem to be dropping these entirely.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    A few comments. . .

Trailers on Sony discs that aren't anamorphic are generally for older titles (like the Jumanji trailers included lately) or TV material. Trailers for new movies are nearly always anamorphic and DD5.1.

They do seem to have stopped including the trailer for the movie itself, which is too bad.

Just in the past week or so, new Sony discs don't automatically play trailers when you put them in the player. (This wasn't an issue at all, because you could always skip them if you wanted to.)

The trailers included with Rent are on disc 2 -- I would rather see them on the movie disc (as long as they don't eat into the film's bit budget too much).

4. AlexBC

AlexBC Second Unit

Aaron, I do agree with Michael. Ideed the number of trailers in Sony's DVDs with 5.1 audio is decreasing considerably. For example, several new Sony DVDs feature the previews for Legendo Of Zorro, Stealth, Into The Blue, The Cave and Rent all in DD 2.0 only (but in 16:9), and they're all very recent movies. I had to look real hard to find them with 5.1 audio.

I, for one, am really annoyed by this new thrend. I love trailers so much there was a time I would by a Sony DVD just to get the trailers, even though I didn't care for the the main feature. The audio and video quality of their previews were usually fantastic, and now they seem to be dropping the ball. [​IMG]

Now I just can't do it anymore, the risk to end up with a useless disc is to high. See the new Mirromask DVD, not a single trailer encoded with 5.1 audio

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Hm, good point. They do seem to be leaning towards the DD2.0 lately. At least all the new ones are anamorphic, though.

6. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

I wonder how we can let them know a sure way to get us to watch thier trailers is if they have all of the theatrical "ooomph!" with 5.1 and anamorphic.

7. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I think they do 2.0 because they include so many trailers. Most "classics" type titles (like Thumbsucker, Yes, 2046, Junebug) have between 8 and 11 trailers (though never for the feature itself).

So, for example, I have all of those, so if I want to see the Thumbsucker trailer, I pop in 2046, while the 2046 trailer is on Junebug, and the Junebug is on 2046.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Unfortunately, the folks who make these decisions seem to live on a secret moon of Jupiter that the rest of us don't know about, and they stopped paying their phone bill years ago. [​IMG]

The people in the Sony marketing department with whom I deal to get screeners and such are generally sympathetic with regard to the sorts of things that concern us, but it appears that they're often unaware of them until one of us mentions it, and I get the impression that they don't have much say in changing things.

9. AlexBC

AlexBC Second Unit

That's very sad to hear Aaron. Sony seems to be reaching a new low every time. With the exception os Superbit titles, almost all their titles would fit the movie in a single layer DVD (I check all of them on a PC-DVD drive), no more trailers for the main feature, rare 5.1 audio in trailers, even the number of 16:9 trailers is drecreasing.

They are purposefuly downgrading their first release to make easier way to their double dips or to make HD even more astounding.

They were once my very favorite studio, oh well [​IMG]