What's new

Sony's "Auto Wide" feature (1 Viewer)

Ergin Guney

Agent
I recently bought a Sony KP-57WS510 CRT RPTV. It has a feature called "Auto Wide" that selects the aspect ratio automatically based on the input signal (at least with DVDs). I was able to see this feature in action when watching a DVD once, but at one point I was forced to override the aspect ratio setting manually, which apparently disables Auto Wide for subsequent viewing. I couldn't figure out the way to get it back, though. Auto Wide is not one of the explicit choices among the "Wide" settings. The manual unsurprisingly also has no explanation about this feature, save for a passing mention in the list of features in the very beginning. I wasn't able to see Auto Wide work again, even with the DVD where I had first witnessed it in action.

Does anybody now how to re-enter this "Auto Wide" mode on Sonys? What's the trick for getting it back?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
On my KP57HW40, the auto wide mode only works when it's fed an interlaced signal, won't work when I set the dvd player to progressive output. In interlaced all I have to do to get it back is switch to a different input and then back to the dvd input. My set also seems to be able to save "Full" as the aspect ratio for component inputs independent of the wide mode I use as default on other inputs. If I set it to Full when watching a dvd, then switch to the set's tuner input (I have the default wide mode set to "Wide Zoom") it will go to wide zoom when I switch to the tuner input but go back to full when I switch back to the component input I have the dvd player connected to.

Ergin Guney

Agent
That does make sense. (I forgot to mention that I use an interlaced signal coming from the DVD.) I'll try it out as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This "auto wide" feature is similar to the automatic 16/9 mode on many of Sony's 4/3 sets in that it depends on a signal from the dvd player carried over the video cable(s).

Not all dvd players pass this signal, and some may only pass it thru S-video but not component. I don't really rely on the "auto wide" feature much, just mash the "wide mode" button on the remote until the appropriate setting comes up (Full for anamorphic widescreen dvd, Normal for 4/3 dvd, Zoom for non-anamorphic widescreen dvd).

BTW, I've had the set over 2 years now and still have trouble getting back to normal viewing if I accidentally mash one of the weirder pip mode buttons on the remote.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

With respect, Steve's story is nothing compared to the hassle I have to go through to use anamorphic squeeze on my older 4:3 KV-ES29M61 -- first of all, to get to DVD input, you have to press "video in" 5 times, to scroll through Video 1 through 4 to get to DVD. Then you have to manually go through the Menu, select "wide" and change the setting.

At least the new TVs and remote allow direct access to DVD input, and to toggle anamorphic squeeze on/off.

But the picture quality, ah! Nothing comparable among its contemporaries, which is why I bought it those years ago and still love it; although that 43" Pioneer plasma is looking mighty tempting... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks