1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony's 2019 A9G Master Series OLED TVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert_Zohn, May 12, 2019.

1. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    Now that we've received our early allocation of 55" and 65" A9G and we've shipped our customer's orders we can start the discussion with owners of Sony's new Master Series OLED TVs. The A9G is Sony's flagship OLED TV series for 2019 and they will be availabel in 55", 65" and 77" screen sizes.

We'll be posting our findings later this week and our calibrator, John will be fine tuning our showroom A9Gs.

Let the serious games begin!

2. Message #2 of 10 Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Secrets7

Secrets7 Auditioning

Conor
    How did your Set up of this go. I picked one up the other day and ran into a few problems

Cable Set top Box -> A9G -> Denon AVX4400H -> Paradigm 5.0 Speaker System
    Ethernet: GB Netgear Switch -> A9G / Google Wifi / Intel Nuc HTPC / WD NAS / Denon / Set top Box - 400mb broadband.

Could not connect to Wifi - Resolved by unplugging the Ethernet cable. Wifi on AC runs slower than ethernet.

eARC connected to a Denon AVX4400H does not work. Turning it to AUTO & in the settings results in Audio outputting in Stereo, Drops Center and rear channels. Turn it off and it returns Dolby 5.0 sound.

Media Streaming via Built in Chrome cast, Built in Plex App or navigating to file fails when playing large file sizes, EG MKV Remux

Netflix 4K looks excessively grainy in Jessica Jones 4k file, shows macroblocking in 4K nature docs.

I bought an Apple TV 4K to test aswell, but am thinking the Chromecast should do the same job and it would be better to have all functionality on the TV.

Anyone else have this or the A9F, which was the predecessor and also had eARC?

3. Colin Blakeston

ColinB
    I have the A9F which is basically the same TV. For streaming depending on what apps you use you might want to use the ATV over the built in apps. Using Netflix as an example Apple delivers content from different CDN at a substantially higher bitrate than the built in app.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Man, these Sony displays are too expensive for my taste. The difference in pricing for the A9G is much more than the difference in performance with the LG C9P especially when it comes to their 55" displays. No way the Sony is $800 better in performance.

5. Message #5 of 10 Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

The Sony has better scaling of Blu-ray movies to the 4k screen

And it’s motion is better than lg

Colin Blakeston likes this.
  6. Message #6 of 10 Jul 9, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, but $800-1000 worth of better scaling? I doubt that.

7. Colin Blakeston

ColinB
    It’s degrees of better I guess. It might not be worth $800 over the LG to you, but you’re posting in a home theatre forum so presumably the LG is worth $800 more than an entry level Samsung to you?

In that scenario many people would think paying the extra $800 for an LG would be crazy. It depends where you personally draw the line I guess.

For me, the Sony was absolutely worth the premium.

8. Message #8 of 10 Jul 9, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    No offense to those that I own Sony models, but I can't see that big of a difference between those two models that are considered direct competitors to each other. There is a major difference in buying a Sony/LG OLED that are top of the line models than a much cheaper TCL budget model.

9. Colin Blakeston

ColinB
    Most people wouldn’t see the difference between a TLC and an OLED you just mentioned though. They might even prefer the TLC because it’s brighter.

If you compare an LG and Sony side by side and can’t see the difference in motion or scaling that’s cool. Save a few bucks. But for people it matters too it’s absolutely worth it.

Don’t forget the Sony has much better sound with its acoustic surface technology. For me it replaced an old 5.1 sound system.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, it's more than a few bucks. It's $1000 difference at my local Best Buy. Anyhow, I'm not trying to rain on Sony owners parade, but I'm just saying I'm very skeptical that the video performances from both models is worth that much money. Anyhow, I've said my piece so I won't belabored my point of contention.