What's new

Sony's 2019 A9G Master Series OLED TVs (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Now that we've received our early allocation of 55" and 65" A9G and we've shipped our customer's orders we can start the discussion with owners of Sony's new Master Series OLED TVs. The A9G is Sony's flagship OLED TV series for 2019 and they will be availabel in 55", 65" and 77" screen sizes.

We'll be posting our findings later this week and our calibrator, John will be fine tuning our showroom A9Gs.

Let the serious games begin!

Secrets7

Auditioning
Real Name
Conor
How did your Set up of this go. I picked one up the other day and ran into a few problems

Cable Set top Box -> A9G -> Denon AVX4400H -> Paradigm 5.0 Speaker System
Ethernet: GB Netgear Switch -> A9G / Google Wifi / Intel Nuc HTPC / WD NAS / Denon / Set top Box - 400mb broadband.

Could not connect to Wifi - Resolved by unplugging the Ethernet cable. Wifi on AC runs slower than ethernet.

eARC connected to a Denon AVX4400H does not work. Turning it to AUTO & in the settings results in Audio outputting in Stereo, Drops Center and rear channels. Turn it off and it returns Dolby 5.0 sound.

Media Streaming via Built in Chrome cast, Built in Plex App or navigating to file fails when playing large file sizes, EG MKV Remux

Netflix 4K looks excessively grainy in Jessica Jones 4k file, shows macroblocking in 4K nature docs.

I bought an Apple TV 4K to test aswell, but am thinking the Chromecast should do the same job and it would be better to have all functionality on the TV.

Anyone else have this or the A9F, which was the predecessor and also had eARC?

Last edited:
Real Name
ColinB
How did your Set up of this go. I picked one up the other day and ran into a few problems

Cable Set top Box -> A9G -> Denon AVX4400H -> Paradigm 5.0 Speaker System
Ethernet: GB Netgear Switch -> A9G / Google Wifi / Intel Nuc HTPC / WD NAS / Denon / Set top Box - 400mb broadband.

Could not connect to Wifi - Resolved by unplugging the Ethernet cable. Wifi on AC runs slower than ethernet.

eARC connected to a Denon AVX4400H does not work. Turning it to AUTO & in the settings results in Audio outputting in Stereo, Drops Center and rear channels. Turn it off and it returns Dolby 5.0 sound.

Media Streaming via Built in Chrome cast, Built in Plex App or navigating to file fails when playing large file sizes, EG MKV Remux

Netflix 4K looks excessively grainy in Jessica Jones 4k file, shows macroblocking in 4K nature docs.

I bought an Apple TV 4K to test aswell, but am thinking the Chromecast should do the same job and it would be better to have all functionality on the TV.

Anyone else have this or the A9F, which was the predecessor and also had eARC?

I have the A9F which is basically the same TV. For streaming depending on what apps you use you might want to use the ATV over the built in apps. Using Netflix as an example Apple delivers content from different CDN at a substantially higher bitrate than the built in app.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, these Sony displays are too expensive for my taste. The difference in pricing for the A9G is much more than the difference in performance with the LG C9P especially when it comes to their 55" displays. No way the Sony is $800 better in performance.

Real Name
ColinB
It’s degrees of better I guess. It might not be worth $800 over the LG to you, but you’re posting in a home theatre forum so presumably the LG is worth $800 more than an entry level Samsung to you?

In that scenario many people would think paying the extra $800 for an LG would be crazy. It depends where you personally draw the line I guess.

For me, the Sony was absolutely worth the premium.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s degrees of better I guess. It might not be worth $800 over the LG to you, but you’re posting in a home theatre forum so presumably the LG is worth $800 more than an entry level Samsung to you?

In that scenario many people would think paying the extra $800 for an LG would be crazy. It depends where you personally draw the line I guess.

For me, the Sony was absolutely worth the premium.
No offense to those that I own Sony models, but I can't see that big of a difference between those two models that are considered direct competitors to each other. There is a major difference in buying a Sony/LG OLED that are top of the line models than a much cheaper TCL budget model.

Last edited:
Real Name
ColinB
Most people wouldn’t see the difference between a TLC and an OLED you just mentioned though. They might even prefer the TLC because it’s brighter.

If you compare an LG and Sony side by side and can’t see the difference in motion or scaling that’s cool. Save a few bucks. But for people it matters too it’s absolutely worth it.

Don’t forget the Sony has much better sound with its acoustic surface technology. For me it replaced an old 5.1 sound system.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most people wouldn’t see the difference between a TLC and an OLED you just mentioned though. They might even prefer the TLC because it’s brighter.

If you compare an LG and Sony side by side and can’t see the difference in motion or scaling that’s cool. Save a few bucks. But for people it matters too it’s absolutely worth it.

Don’t forget the Sony has much better sound with its acoustic surface technology. For me it replaced an old 5.1 sound system.
Well, it's more than a few bucks. It's $1000 difference at my local Best Buy. Anyhow, I'm not trying to rain on Sony owners parade, but I'm just saying I'm very skeptical that the video performances from both models is worth that much money. Anyhow, I've said my piece so I won't belabored my point of contention.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Crazy promotional "Instant Rebate" for Sony's 77" A9G now on sale for $4,999 and delivered Nationwide at no charge.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, it's more than a few bucks. It's $1000 difference at my local Best Buy. Anyhow, I'm not trying to rain on Sony owners parade, but I'm just saying I'm very skeptical that the video performances from both models is worth that much money. Anyhow, I've said my piece so I won't belabored my point of contention.

When I was shopping for my latest projector I visited a couple of super high-end Home Theater shops. I saw individual amps [much less powerful than mine] priced much higher. For reference, my most expensive amp to date is my Outlaw 7140 which I think I paid maybe $1400.00 for at the time but don't quote me... Either way, I saw amps there priced at over 50K.

What I learned on that excursion was that people value things differently. One of the salesmen I talked to said "some people spend their money on cars [etc] and some choose to spend it on this stuff. " In my case [unfortunately] I love them both so I do have to make compromises, although I did buy my projector from that place and that man.

Last edited:

copwriter

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Dees
New member, and first time posting here.
My present setup is a Sony Bravia (Model KDL-52XBR2) 55-inch LCD, Klipsch 5.1 surround sound (don't have the model number), and a Yamaha RX-V383 receiver/amplifier. The Sony TV was top of the line when I bought it in 2007, but it's obviously dated now.
I am considering buying the new Sony XBR-77A9G 77-inch OLED display, possibly paired with a Bose soundbar. I've learned that the Sony allows for using its own "Acoustic Surface" audio, or a completely external sound system, but not both. I was hoping that I could use the built-in speaker/subwoofer for the front channels and my existing Klipsch speakers for the rear channels, but that isn't going to happen.
The room where the TV is and will be set up is quite large at around 560 square feet. The TV is set up on one of the longer (33 feet) walls, so there is maybe 15 feet between the viewer and the display.
Part of my predicament is that the right and left front speakers are mounted on the wall, on either side of the 55-inch display. The 77-inch model will cover the spots where those speakers are mounted. This is why I wanted to use the acoustic surface for my front channels.
So, my question: is the Bose soundbar going to meet my need for surround sound, or do I need to look to some other solution entirely?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
New member, and first time posting here.
My present setup is a Sony Bravia (Model KDL-52XBR2) 55-inch LCD, Klipsch 5.1 surround sound (don't have the model number), and a Yamaha RX-V383 receiver/amplifier. The Sony TV was top of the line when I bought it in 2007, but it's obviously dated now.
I am considering buying the new Sony XBR-77A9G 77-inch OLED display, possibly paired with a Bose soundbar. I've learned that the Sony allows for using its own "Acoustic Surface" audio, or a completely external sound system, but not both. I was hoping that I could use the built-in speaker/subwoofer for the front channels and my existing Klipsch speakers for the rear channels, but that isn't going to happen.
The room where the TV is and will be set up is quite large at around 560 square feet. The TV is set up on one of the longer (33 feet) walls, so there is maybe 15 feet between the viewer and the display.
Part of my predicament is that the right and left front speakers are mounted on the wall, on either side of the 55-inch display. The 77-inch model will cover the spots where those speakers are mounted. This is why I wanted to use the acoustic surface for my front channels.
So, my question: is the Bose soundbar going to meet my need for surround sound, or do I need to look to some other solution entirely?
Let me answer you this way. You’re considering an over $5K TV, but are trying to match it with an audio system of a couple hundred $, including using the TV’s built-in speakers. Does that sound like a reasonable use of $?

copwriter

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Dees
Let me answer you this way. You’re considering an over $5K TV, but are trying to match it with an audio system of a couple hundred $, including using the TV’s built-in speakers. Does that sound like a reasonable use of $?
Sony is hyping the acoustic surface tech as really great stuff. I haven't heard it myself, so I don't have a frame of reference. I assume from the tone of your reply that I should go with a better sound system. Is the Bose soundbar (~$1000) a good choice for this setup?

Real Name
ColinB
Sony is hyping the acoustic surface tech as really great stuff. I haven't heard it myself, so I don't have a frame of reference. I assume from the tone of your reply that I should go with a better sound system. Is the Bose soundbar (~$1000) a good choice for this setup?

if your baseline for surround sound is a physical 5.1 speaker system covering a large room then I’m not sure any sound bar would replicate to your expectations. Maybe the Ambeo? Especially as it’s such a large room. Sound bars generally work best when you sit closer to them in the sweet spot so 15ft away it’s quite an ask.

I have a 55” AF9 with acoustic surface audio very similar to the AG9 and personally find it works phenomenally well. I spent a thousand pound on a Sony sound bar and rear speakers to accompany it and returned them after I found I preferred the sound (and surround) effect of the acoustic surface audio. That said, I sit 4ft from my TV in a small room.

You do have the option of using the TV sound as a replacement for your centre speaker. But that’s not going to help with the positioning of your side speakers unfortunately. There’s no way to set the TV to be used as the front left. Centre and front right channels. Just the centre.

Have you considered getting a smaller TV that would fit in the space you have?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course they are (Sony). Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Bose, and most definitely would never spend $1K on a soundbar. Really, first thing, you need to decide if you want to go with a "no effort" sound system, and do the best you can with it, or if you want an actual sound system that will sound a whole lot better, but will require more effort. Budget aside to start, you just need to decide whether or not you are willing to put some effort into decent surround sound.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I would suggest buying the 77" A9G and adding an audio system after you have some time with the TV and using the built-in audio system. It's true that for TV audio Sony's AG9 delivers the best audio performance. With that said most folks would add a decent external audio system.

Another nice feature of the A9G's built-in audio is that you have the option to use all of the actuators as one speaker so it can be used for your center channel speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks