What's new

Sony's "16:9 Enhanced": Real benefit, or marketing hype? (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I've been doing some research in preparation for selecting my next television set. It's going to be a flat-screen, 27" or less, most likely (due to affordability). So I was looking through the Crutchfield catalog and read the write-up for the Sony FD Trinitron Wega 27", model KV-27FV300. In the description, it says this:
switch to 16:9 Enhanced mode.

Here's why videophiles love 16:9 Enhanced: Where most TVs reduce the number of scanning lines -- and resolution -- of anamorphic DVDs by 25%, 16:9 Enhanced mode slightly compresses the height of each line so you see the full 480 scanning lines. No image quality is lost because all of the scanning lines are concentrated in the 16:9 window and none are wasted on the non-usable portion of the screen (the black bars above and below). So whether the video source is widescreen or standard, you get full resolution -- you'll love the picture!
Does anyone know from experience, or in theory, if this gives a real benefit that people can actually see on the screen? Or is it just marketing hype?

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
"We're sorry, but we can't find the HomePage you've requested. It's possible that:" blah blah blah...is that the right address?

Was just kind of hoping for a simple answer...maybe yes/no, maybe a little bit about how big of a difference there is, if any, etc.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
As simple as possible.

YES it is a benefit.

It allows anamorphic DVD's to be viewed at full resolution.

This makes the picture more detailed, and on my 36" Wega at 11 feet, when the 16:9 enhanced is on I can not see the horizontal scan lines, the picture is film like. Where as when I am watching a non-anamorphic DVD's the scan lines are visable and distracting. It almost appears as if there are black lines drawn horizontally across the picture (this is the void from line to line.)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes - it's a real benefit, though I'm not sure how much it will be noticeable on a 27" set.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My 'upstairs' set is a 27" with squeeze mode, and it makes a big difference.

On rear projectors, the squeeze mode is in fact how the "16:9" sets make the image; if you open up the set and look at the CRTs you will see they are all 4:3!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It makes a huge difference on a 27-inch set!

I routinely go into my Toshiba CZ27V51 bedroom set's service menu in order to "squeeze" the scanning-line raster. In addition to being able to display 16:9-encoded DVDs at their full 480-line resolution (instead of downverted via the player's downconversion routine), the scanning lines are closer together. This yields the filmlike look--on some sets looking almost as good as progressive scanning.

The descriptive/promotional copy in the Crutchfield catalog is not completely accurate in explaining how the function works, though.

If purchasing a 4:3 set, only consider ones with a 16:9 mode. (It's the only reason to buy an FV- or FS-series WEGA.)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Between the two (FS or FV), which is the better line?

I was at Best Buy earlier today and saw the KV-24FS100 for ~$378. I thought that seemed like a decent price. I didn't have time to look around more, but looked on their website, and saw the 27" model, the KV-27FS100, for ~$521. But the Crutchfield catalog lists the KV27FV300 at $750. I assume a $750 TV is better than a $521 TV in the same size from the same brand. So I assume the FV series is better than the FS series. But what's the difference? I can't really tell. Sony's website doesn't list the KV-27FS100, so I can't compare it. It lists a KV-27FS13, though, but that model isn't available at Best Buy (or through Crutchfield).

Maybe it would just be better if I asked for a recommendation on a TV...something ~$750 or less. I guess it has to have the 16:9 Enhanced feature. The bigger the screen, the better, of course, and it must be flat. I would prefer Sony.

TimG

Second Unit
JustinR, as far as 32" tv's that are flat screen, and do the squeeze, you have two choices. Sony or JVC, JVC at $800 or the Sony at $900, although you can probably talk them down a little in price for both. As far as the difference between FS and FV on the Sony, FV autodetects an anamorphic picture and automatically squeezes, the FS you have to enable the squeeze yourself. Some other things like PIP I think and a little different speakers and such. I looked at the 32" JVC this weekend and was very impressed. Quickly compared it to the equivilant Sony and I think I liked the JVC better. Just my opinion though.

TimG

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Unfortunately, that $900 is going to be more than I can reasonably afford, even if they do take a bit off. (I'm doubting a retail store would take $150 off, which is needed to hit my goal of $750 or less.)

Right now I think I'm going to try for the KV27FV300, unless anyone can give me a good reason not to (coupled with a better alternate suggestion). I just wish Best Buy carried these in the store; I hate to buy something like this online, in case I need to return it for any reason.

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
Here's your good reason: Sears has last year's 32" Sony Wega (32fs13) on clearance for $750. If you don't mind last year's chassis and using the menu to change to 16:9 enhanced, this is the perfect TV for you.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I think getting an extra 5" just might make using the menu a little more tolerable. ;) :D The old chassis doesn't matter to me; it looks fine. As long as the silver color matches the silver color of the Sony SLV-N88 VCR I bought today and the DVP-NS715P DVD player I'll be getting soon and the STR-DE985 receiver I'll be getting after that. Whew! :)
That all together is a decent budget-level system, isn't it?

TimG

Second Unit
I noticed Circuit City also have last years sony on sale, (still $799 though), you might be able to talk them down some more. You do realize you won't be able to use the 715P in progressive scan with this tv, right? Just making sure you know this. Good luck. :)
TimG

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Yeah, I understand about that part. But I figure...the player is only an extra $50 over Sony's next best non-progressive player, and the color (of the 715P) matches the VCR I just got and the TV I'll be getting and probably the receiver I'll be getting, too, and if I am able to step up a progressive-capable display in the next few years, I'll have a player to go with it right away, without having to also buy a new player at the same time as the new display. So it's all good! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Keep us posted on your progress, Justin. When the time comes to start screening DVDs in their correct output mode, come here with any questions!

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
*Sigh*...the stumbling block isn't just money, it's also my fiance. You see, the money is there. But she's got this crazy notion that it's more important to buy the kid diapers... ;) :D

TimG

Second Unit
Hehehe, we just had our second. :) Get one out of diapers and the other one started. I can't even remember back when a trip to the store didn't include diapers and wipes. Keep us informed on which you decide on. I figured you knew about the progressive thing, just checking. I think we are going to pick up the 32" JVC this weekend, I have my wife just on the verge of agreeing. Keep your fingers crossed.
TimG

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You could probably get Circuit City to price match the Sears price. The CC unit would also have a Sony factory warranty while the Sears unit does not.(only Sears in house warranty) This might not make a difference to you but some people get a little peeved when they find that Sony or one of its authorized servicers can't help you with a problem on a new set.

Clint B

Second Unit
If you've got a Circuit City in your area, you might want to look there for last year's Sony KV27-FS13. That's the TV I've got, and it does the squeeze. It looks great! While I've heard that this year's model is nice, too, I mention last year's model because you said you're on a budget. While I got my TV at Best Buy, I know that Circuit City had the same TV about a month ago for around $560 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks