What's new

Sony XBR800 PIP from DirecTV/TiVo receiver (1 Viewer)

aaron.r

Grip
Does anyone know a way to get my TV's (Sony 34XBR800) built-in PIP capability to work with a 2-tuner Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV/TiVo receiver?
DirecTV technical support says no-go, but I can't imagine that it's not possible, considering the receiver is tuning 2 channels at any given time...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You have been given the correct advice by DirecTV.

The reason is that PIP is a function of your Sony’s analog, NTSC tuners. They expect that all the information they need (multiple TV channels) will be present on one input (I think that this has to be the RF input, but I’m not really sure).

Your DirecTV tuners tune only one signal (or in your case, two discrete signals). The output from your receiver/Tivo to your set contains only one channel; not two. The reason that your receiver can tune two channels is that it has two logical tuners.

It is possible that you might get your PIP to work it you feed your set an OTA signal or a direct cable feed. I’m not sure, as I’ve never tried it. I’m doubtful, but I’m willing to learn, as I could understand how such a scheme might work.

aaron.r

Grip
Yes, that makes sense - thanks for an excellent synopsis...
I was thinking it might be possible to tranform an output from the receiver into an RF input on the TV, but I'm not sure how I would control each individual channel anyway. I suppose it's worth a try, but the outlook is not good!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Far easier would be to get a cheap indoor antenna and feed the RF directly (assuming that you live close enough to a transmitter).

If this does not work ;) you can take advantage to the 30–45 day return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks