1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony XBR65 Vs Mitsubishi 65909

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonnyD, Jul 24, 2002.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Auditioning

Hi All,
    Have just purchased my HT setup including Klipsch reference RC3II center, RF3II floor standing fronts, RCW3II in wall rears, RSW12B and a RXV1 Yamaha reciever plus a Denon DVD1600 for my media/game room and we ran into a major issue. The KDP65XBR2 sony rptv won't fit up my stairs. Then they (the delivery crew) wanted to hire a scissor lift and take it up over the open-to-below railing, there lies another problem there is not enough room between the railing and ceiling and the delivery manager says that the TV can't be tilted because of the mirrors inside the tv???
    So to get to my point.....I have to buy another TV to go in the room. Does anybody have any ideas on wheather I should get the Mitsubishi diamond series WS65909 or any other tv of simular quality HELP ME PLEASE SOMEBODY.
    And if any one has this same equipment please comment on how they perform.

Cheers all

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I've heard nothing but great things about Mitsubishi rptvs. I'd check out hometheaterspot.com for info on Mits TVs..they seem to have a deep knowledge of their product lines.

3. Len Simons

Len Simons Agent

If the Sony 65XBR won't fit up the stairs, how would they get the Mitsubishi 65909 up there? They're about the same size, are they not?

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

The 65" and up Mits come apart to fit into unwieldy places.

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Kirk is correct, both the 65" and 73" Mitsus come apart at the 'waist' and are easy to move. In fact, there are some staircases a 55" Mitsu TV won't fit down (or up), that the 65" Mitsus will.

Take a good look at the Mits 65909 to fix your problem. It is a sweet set that should easily fit up your stairs. I like it better than the XBRs... better color, and manual convergence through the remote rather than "flash focus," which I don't like. You might wait for the new 2003 65" Mitsus, though... about the only beef I have with the Mitsus is that their stretch modes are somewhat lacking, but the new Mitsu catalog says there are new stretch modes for the new model year.

6. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Your space problem may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The Mits are great sets, especially once they have been calibrated. As the reply above mentions, they shine in every area with the exception of the stretch mode. The stretch mode on the Mits is "watchable," but not as good as, for example, the Toshibas. Other than that, I think you are moving "up" to a completely different (and better) make of TV.

Out of the box, the Pioneer Elites have a better picture. However, the Pioneer Elites typically go for $1500 to $2100 more. If you go with the Mits and spend the additional money on an ISF calibration (and also self-calibrate using Avia's DVD), you can end up with what some calibrators call "the best picture possible on a consumer level RPTV." Something that Sony (in my opinion) would never be able to do.

-Bruce in Chi-Town