What's new

Sony XBR400WEGA and 16:9 DVD's (1 Viewer)

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Forum,
I and a friend are having a disagreement. I have an XBR400WEGA (Sony). I say that when I view DVD's that are 16:9 enhanced, I'm getting the same picture that I would with a TV that naturally 16:9. Being that this mode is HDTV ready (just add HD decoder). Also, only DTVs can take advantage of a progress scan signal, which the XBR does, (I just purchased the Denon 2800 sweet). Lastly, since DVD's have different aspect ratios, letterboxing does not, therefore Gladiator (aspect ratio of 2.35:1) doesn't look (picture size wise) like Jurassic Park (aspect ratio 1.85:1) He says I’m getting "fancy letterbox". If the XBR WEGA could not show 16:9 then my picture would look distorted (everyone would look like George from Seinfeld, short and fat), as my DVD is set to output 16:9. Can anyone settle this? Thanks in
advance

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Marshawn,
You may want to post this in the TV Projectors area.
I don't quite understand what your question is...

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
You'll probably get better answers if this were in the TV/Projector Forum.
I also own a Sony XBR400 but I'm not sure what you're asking other than will you get the same picture on the 4:3 XBR and a 16:9 the answer is yes. However, more of the black letterbox bars are exposed on a 4:3 TV than a 16:9.
BTW is you DVD player set for a 16:9 TV? If not it should be to take avantage of the XBR's anamorphic squeeze feature, you should see greater video resolution.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I understand, you're asking if the 'squeezed' picture on the Wega is the image you would get on widescreen (16:9) set, assuming they were the same equivalent sizes.
The answer is Yes.
Setting the DVD player to output to 16:9 TV means it will send the video signal appropriate for a widescreen TV. The WEGA has that zippy squeeze feature that accepts the video signal for a widescreen TV, and then vertically compresses its scan lines to create a widescreen image, and so properly display the widescreen image from the DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks