Sony XBR Problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Drew K, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Drew K

Drew K Auditioning

I recently Purchased a Sony KV30XBR910 television. The picture quality on it is awesome however when I was watching a DVD on the screen I have noticed three horizontal gray lines about 1/3 1/2 and 2/3 up the screen. They are not noticeable from more than 3 feet away. I have tried using different component inputs as well as different DVDs as well as my HD cable box. They all display the lines. Is this a problem with the TV? and I should exchange it for another one?. Thanks in advance for your help.

Drew

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I think that you are looking at the support wires that keep the shadow mask from distorting under very high brightness conditions. They are part of all Trinitron picture tubes. Some smaller sets may only have 1 or 2. They are usually visible only under certain picture conditions and they prevent purity problems which can exist after an intense bright object has been on the screen for a while. It's a tradeoff of a small artifact for better purity and convergence under certain video conditions.

3. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

The support wires sounds right. My 6+ year old .25dp apperture grill Sony 21" PC monitor has the same thing. They're always visible (as I'm only 2 feet away) and I rarely notice them anymore.