What's new

Sony XBR hue/shutdown problem (1 Viewer)

MitchC

Auditioning
I have a Sony 36" direct view XBR400 set. It started to show me a badly red tinted image and then would shut down. It seems the hue control gets stuck way towards the red end, it occurs on its own. If I shut down for a few hours and turn the set on it seems ok for a little while then it gets red again and shuts down. The set is not yet 2 years old, anyone hear of this problem before, any solutions ?
Thanks, Mitch

Patricio M

Agent
I had the same problem with my xbr450 (less than a year old). It seemed to happen when it was warm in the room. I would turn it off for 15 minutes and then it would be normal (till it would happen again). They ultimatly had to replace the color gun control board (don't know the exact name of the board), which was about a month ago. I have yet to see it happen again, but if it does, they said they would probably replace the tube. Let me know if you have any questions.

MitchC

Auditioning
Thanks Patricio,
I've read a lot about red push on Sony's but this is much more than push its way over the edge !, up to now its been a stunning TV, the only other thing I've noticed is that when its been running for a while it makes a loud electrical crackling sound with no other ill effects. My room is not too hot and the air movement around the set is good. I hope its still under warranty and that they'll repair it at my place because as you know it weighs a ton.
Good luck with yours.
Mitch

Patricio M

Agent
The Red push is just software setting that can be changed (which I recommend having this changed), but the tv going into a saturated red then shutting off is a control board problem, and is a warranty related fix. I am glad to hear that my tv is not the only one affected, as I posted the same issue a couple of months back when mine was doing the same thing. As for the electrical crackling problem, thats a new one to me...I would definitely have that looked at as well.

Patricio M

Agent
Actually, the loud electrical cracking noise just reminded me of what happens to my tv. Except I do not think it is electrical, I think when the tv warms up the plastic casing will expand, and it sounds more like a plastic crack. Mine does this all the time, and also happens several minutes after I turn off my TV (guess the plastic is cooling down), it seems pretty normal, and I wouldn't worry about it.

MitchC

Auditioning
Thanks once again,
I'll be calling Sony tomorrow and we'll see how well they respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks