Sony WS510 Tweaks?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChrisYK, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

Any tweaks circulating out there?
    I've done an extensive search but all I could come up with is this

I would appreciate any and all Sony RPTV owners sharing their knowledge! [​IMG]

2. Peter Keeling

I am a fellow Sony WS510 owner, although i do not know any tweaks, I would like some tweaks also.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chris,

The information you linked to is pretty comprehensive, what more do you want to do?

The 510, 500, and HW-40 series are all pretty much the same set so most if not all the information there should work for your set.

4. ChrisYK

Steve,

I didn't know how comprehensive the guide was and was just wondering if there was anything else out there that people have been using. The tweaks in that guide have definitely improved the PQ.

I haven't had the courage to do the tweaks that involve physically opening up the TV, but would appreciate any input from people who have (re: difficulty, improvements, etc).

That being said, how much more improvement should I realistically expect with professional calibration?

5. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I'd never even consider doing major tweaks to a rear projection tv. That is the one tv I would absolutely hire an ISF guy for.

I've done my own tweaks on my Sony tube sets but i'd never touch an RPTV. Too many mistakes are possible.

6. ChrisYK

By major, I'm assuming tweaks that involve opening up the set.
    I would never have touched the service menu settings without making sure I had the default settings accessible.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chris,

I've had a KP57HW40 for over 2 years now, and the guide you linked to is about as comprehensive, concise, and easy to understand as any tweaking information I've seen for these sets. I did most of the service menu stuff 2 years ago, but have never openned up the set. My courage would probably only extend to cleaning the lenses on the crts, and I'm grateful to you for posting that link as it's making it look a bit easier than I had anticipated.

I'm not scared of electrocuting myself, just of screwing up the tv :b .

I think the main benefit of a professional calibration to someone like you who has already done all the stuff in that guide would be perfecting the grey scale. I noted a bit of overemphasis of green toward the darker end of the scale and adjusted G-cut a bit and am happy with the results. I had previous experience with this on a Sony direct view set I once owned, a KV35XBR-48, so wasn't too uncomfortable with it. I have no doubt that having a professional calibrate the grey scale would be of help--truly accurate adjustment does require some pretty expensive test equipment.

You may have noticed, if you ever watch Hockey or anything else with lots of white on the screen, that there is a tiny bit of blue emphasis on one side and red on the other--color shift due to the fact that the crts are place with red on one end, green in the middle, and blue on the other end. While I have not been overly upset about this, most good calibrationists can correct this also by putting filter material over the edges of the red and blue crts.

Some will also install lens hoods and/or Duvetyne lining inside the set to help minimize internal reflections. Internal reflection is why the black bars on a 2:35 dvd turn a bit lighter and take on the color of the main picture material in very bright scenes.

8. ChrisYK

That was my thinking too [​IMG]
    Also, I didn't want to open up the TV and void my manufacturer's warranty by default.
    I'm curious as to how dirty the CRT tubes are coming from the factory...
    I just checked my build date and it said January 2004. Wow... I literally bought it a couple weeks after it was made.

Steve, you've been very helpful with your info even from before I bought the TV. Your candid info helped convince me to spring for my current set and I couldn't be happier. Thanks!

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Glad to have been of help, Chris. I'm not surprised you got a literally 2 week old set--these are very popular tvs and sell like hotcakes. 2 of my co-workers have bought 510s recently and another's about to pull the trigger.

There are plenty of other good sets out there, but I really think these 510s offer very good value for the money.

10. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I love mine and I'm sure ISF calibration would improve the picture even more. I've really come to appreciate my set after a coworker of mine had me over to try and "calibrate" (video essential, Avia) his set, a JVC 48" HD RPTV. Man the JVC looked bad compared to my 46wt510. I set it as best I could and I've been using Video Essentials since it was only available on laserdisc, so I'm pretty familiar with the test material,I go straight to chapter 15. The montage of images looked grainy . It looks smooth and noise free on my Sony. I did improve his picture but it never took on a film like quality it always looked like video to me. He has Direct TV ,I have comcast HD digital cable, I'm a former dish owner myself I only switched to cable last year when HD became available. however it wasn't the source material Dvd's looked mediocre on his set. I've gotten a new respect for my set. My previous analog Sony Kp43T70 is an audio review Hall of Fame set, so I've been lucky with my Sony's, I managed to totally avoid any flicker troubles. I don't want to start any arguments with the JVC crowd either I don't even know the model #. I'm just saying I really have a new respect for my Sony, particularly as I've seen it as low as $1440 recently.

11. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that tweak page lists all the tweaks possible without a color analyzer. The service menu tweaks like color decoder, dynamic picture, convergence, and SVM will cause a huge transformation in the picture. The focus adjustments and lens cleaning usually aren't needed as much, so I wouldn't worry if you do everything on the list except them.
    By the way, a good friend of mine has a WS510, calibrated by yours truly, and it looks stunning! It looked above average before, but now it's so gorgeous it'll nearly bring a tear of joy to a videophile's eye...

12. ChrisYK

Chad,
    What kind of calibrating do you do?
    I noticed that you're from Dayton... not too far from Cinci [​IMG]
    I should hold off on calibration though since I'll be moving in May/June.

Any Cinci-area HT get-togethers that you know of?

Edit: duh... just read your sig.

13. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,

Yes, last year I went to a home theater meet at Mike Perry's house near Cinci, and then LaMarcus had one at his home in Dayton. They are both great guys! There's a thread for Dayton-Cinci meets in the local meets forum. I hope they're still meeting, but I haven't checked for a while.
    Yeah, feel free to check out my webpage for cal info! I do go to the Cinci area.