Sony WM40 mod question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevinkall, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I just applied 3 thin coats of MOD PODGE to the front cone of my Sony WM40 and I heard that you should apply one thin coat to the backside of the cone. Is that the entire backside of the cone? If someone could please explain to me how to do this. Thanks.

2. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Rich Moorehead

yeah i think its the entire backside of the cone. im not sure you really wanna risk that though. i almost did it to a sub i used to have but backed off, not risking lots of money to maybe hear a little difference. plus ive only heard of 2 people ever doing it. thats not very reliable.

4. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Just curious, what does this mod do? I'm "puzzled".

5. Terence B

Terence B Auditioning

Kevin -

Before I bought my SVS I had a Sony WM40 that I applied all the mods to and they all seemed to improve the performance somewhat...

Yes - I applied three thin coats of Mod Podge to the front of the cone and two thin coats to the entire rear side of the cone.

I know, I know, getting to the rear wasn't as easy as the front because of the speaker frame. I used one of those smallish (3/4" wide I think) foam applicator brushes and just carefully worked my way around the speaker frame. I couldn't quite get all the way to the back of the cone because I didn't want to slop on the "accordian" coil dust cover, but for the most point I managed to get 97% of the rear cone covered.

After doing the Mod Podge thing I could definitely notice that the fast bass response seemed to have tightned up - not tremendously but it was noticable none the less, it was worth the effort for me anyway.

After doing the Poly-fil, Modpodge, and Spikes that little Sony didn't sound to bad. The audio will never go as low or be as tight and clean as my SVS but for $140 I was happy - for a while anyway ......

6. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for the reply Terence!

I'm going to do the backside tonight. Thanks again!

I also have another question.

If you cover the entire inside of the cabinet with damping spray should you still add pollyfill?

7. Terence B

Terence B Auditioning

I would say yes on the Poly-Fill -
    The damping spray (which BTW I never did) will slow down the thin MDF vibrations but I think you will also need the Poly-fill to change the internal accustic signiture of the enclosure.

I also noticed in your other post that you installed a stiffener bar (also something I didn't do), it would seem to me that you have or are gonna have - bar none - THEE most modified Sony WM40 in captivity!!!

If things aren't sounding right for you by now - me thinks it's time to save up for a SVS... [grin]

Good luck - Have fun -
    Terry

8. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I added two thin coats of mod podge to the rear of the cone a few hours ago. I just finished testing it out with a few scenes from LOTR, AOTC, and DD. It does seem to have a little more PUNCH then before. I've also been adjusting some of the settings to get it sounding just right. It does sound ALOT BETTER since the mods. It's amazing how much better it can sound with a few EASY mods! The next step is to add spikes to the bottom of the sub. It should hold me over until I have enough saved up for an SVS. [​IMG]