Sony WM-40?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisLazarko, May 12, 2004.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I am not sure if the WM-40 is there low-end sub? I just picked one up at Circuit City for my new basement setup that is just el cheapo. Wondering how the responces on this are. Sounds great for about $75.

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Hmm the Sony SA-WM40 has been discontinued for sometime now and been replaced with the SA-WM500. Anyway I owned one for three years, it was a very decent budget sub and $75 is a great deal on it (I paid $200 new). My main problem was that it was much too boomy, esp. during movies (explosions and such) and the bass it put out was not very accurate or tight, and muddy at times. It just did not allow me to play movies at the desired volume and I felt that it was holding back my system. And there is NO WAY that it plays down to its rated 20 Hz, I would say it drops off at around 35 Hz, maybe 30 at best. So I recently upgraded to an HSU STF-2 which I love more and more every day! I am selling my Sony to someone for $100, so I feel I got my moneys worth out of it. Honestly though for $75 I doubt will would be able to do better, and for a “cheapo” system it should be more than adequate, so enjoy it!

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I seem to remember a lot of members having really good luck adding more stuffing to this sub,supposed to tighten it up quite a bit.Do a quick search on it,should get a few hits about the stuffing mod.

Greg

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yup, some more polyfill should do the trick. To get a better perspective of what mods other users have done, you might want to check out audioreview.com and read the individual reviews for this subwoofer. Another "basic" upgrade might be to replace the driver. Again, this would depend on whether you could find a good, used 12" driver to use as a replacement.

Then again, it's just used in a 2nd system. Add a little polyfill and enjoy your $75 bargain. [​IMG]

5. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

GO for the SAWM 500 at sears WAYY BETTER....E-Mail me and i can help you with the mods if you want! Great budget sub with the mods!

6. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I have the WM500, its a great sub, even better with the poly-fil in it. But I am just using it in my 10x10 bedroom/theater. I did a little test from my iBook using the sound studio program, and it doesnt go much lower than 32hz, just some weak and annoying port noise below 32, but is great otherwise.

7. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I am using a WM-40 in my low to mid end system for more than a year now, and I love it. I did the polyfil mod and added spikes right after buying the sub, and I use it in a rather large room. With movies it is never boomy for me, and with music I set my receiver's subwoofer level several notches lower, it adds the base I like to my music without getting boomy. I have not listened to highly regarded subs like Hsu ar SVS, but the ones I compared my WM-40 to were not worth the extra $$ for me, not even close. Heck, the flyby scene in AOTC rattles my windows and at that level it does not get boomy at all, that is more than enough for me, I don't want that hit on my chest anyway...