Sony Widescreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Najib_H, May 14, 2002.

1. Najib_H

Najib_H Stunt Coordinator

I have the sony KP51HW40 widescreen and I love it but to me sometimes on some DVDs it seems the picture is grainy at times. Especially in AI when you look at the faces. I have a progressive Sscan DVD player from Panasonic and I am using Monster Cable Video 3 cables. So I knowI am using the right equipment. Did any of you guys have the same problem. Maybe its just me.
    Thanks in advance
    Najib
    www.roninonline.com

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Welcome to the Forum!

Each DVD is different. Some will have crisp, nearly flawless transfers (The Pledge, The Fifth Element, Toy Story) and others will be less than stellar.

As for A.I., the grain is intentional. For better, or for worse, this is the way the film was intended to look.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Najib,

Have you calibrated the set with AVIA or VE? Usually too high a sharpness setting will cause excessive graininess.

If your sharpness is set to about 1/3 to 1/4 of max, it's about right.

I have a KP57HW40, and it is grainy looking when the film is made that way, as AI or The Godfather are. Other films like Fast and Furious show virtually no film grain, nor does video-based HD material like HDNet.

On a set with lower resolution, this intentional film grain is harder or impossible to see.

4. Najib_H

Najib_H Stunt Coordinator

Hey thanks guys for the response.
    Steve:
    "Have you calibrated the set with AVIA or VE? Usually too high a sharpness setting will cause excessive graininess.
    If your sharpness is set to about 1/3 to 1/4 of max, it's about right."
    How do I do that? And does it really help?
    Thanks
    Najib
    www.roninonline.com

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Najib: If I'm not mistaken, the Sony's SVM can be disabled from the user menu. Do that first. Then, with a good calibration disc, judge for yourself how much "sharpness" must be applied. In my experience, the closer to "zero" the better. Your sharpness control is easily accessible from the user menu. JB

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Sony does not have a dedicated menu item for turning off SVM, but it is off in Pro Mode. It can be disabled in the service menu, or adjusted to any of 3 levels of intensity. Defaults are 0 in Pro mode, 1 in movie, 2 in standard, and 3 in Vivid.

Najib, I'd suggest you get out your set's owner's manual to learn how to adjust the sharpness and other picture controls, if you haven't already. You can save 4 different sets of adjustments, one for each picture mode (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro).

I'd recommend Najib get a copy of AVIA and just follow the instructions in the narration on the disc. It's quite user friendly and the only thing that's a bit ambiguous is the contrast (Sony calls this Picture) setting, for this just turn it down to about 40%.