Sony Wega's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Cheung, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, just wondering how good are the Sony Wega tv's? They are always really expensive and look really nice but are they worth the money or is it just overpriced? Thanx!

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

They are really nice, and they are overpriced. IMHO.

I doubt that you'd be disappointed if you bought one, but if you're counting dollars, you can probably do as well or better for the bucks.

One of the best TVs I had for years and years was a Sony, so I'm not "down" on the brand at all. They do seem to charge a bit for the name, though.

Jan

3. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Awesome, thanx Jan for the input.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I agree with Jan. And I have enormous respect for Sony. The brand name crops up often when you look around in my house.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Good sets, but you can get similar performance for less money ... with Panasonic or Toshiba.

regards

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Sony does have the better pic and features imo. The service menus are great. I was lucky enough to jump on that super sony sale at Fry's. I picked up the 32HV600 for the same price the toshiba 32HD82 would have cost me($1299).

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I just bought a 32" Wega and since it was on sale it was cheaper then the other TV's offering similar features so I got lucky.

8. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

If I had to do it again I would pass on the Sony Wega (I have a 32fv27) and go for a 42-47" widescreen rptv.

9. SeanOsborne

SeanOsborne Auditioning

I bought the 32" and absolutely love it. I paid $799 about two months ago (Best Buy Sale). I wouldn't buy anything else as far as a tube tv goes. I bought an RCA and returned it a week later because the picture quality was poor. I paid another $300 for the Sony and think it was money well spent!!! My last sony was a 27" trinitron that lasted me over 12 years and never gave me any problems.

Good luck,
    Sean

10. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

I just bought the 32" as well (KV-32FS100). I actually got a really good deal on mine thanks to an employee discount. So far it seems nice, although it needs to be tweaked and calibrated to get the most out of it. I've been doing research the last few days about the Wegas. I think we should just start an "Official Sony Wega thread".
    [​IMG]

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I recently purchased a Sony 36HS500 (36" HDTV Wega) and I like it. I'm partial to Sony tubes -- they've got a good reputation and I've enjoyed Trinitron computer monitors for several years as well. I felt that sticking with a brand that I knew and trusted was worth the $200 extra compared to the Tosh or Pana TVs.

I also appreciate well-designed remotes and menus (since I have to use them a lot) and Sony seems to have the best remotes and best user menus on the market.

But, yes, Sony TVs are expensive. I bought mine for $1800 ($2000 normally, minus 10% BB preferred customer coupon price matched at CC, on a Sony credit card for 12 mo. no payments). You could get a better price with effort, if you are so inclined.

12. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I just bought a Wega last month, and I don't regret 'overspending' on it at all! It's my new best friend. [​IMG]
    When it's time to replace this one, I'll buy whichever Wega or similar Sony is out there. I'm not a Sony fanatic, but IMHO they make the best tube sets out there.

13. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

SONY no Baloney!

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

15. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Just an update on my Wega (KV-32FS100):

Mine will probably be going back to the store. I have greenish streaks on the left side of the picture that are only visible when watching material with a white (or light colored) background. And it doesn't appear to be a degaussing problem. Other than that, the set looked great...especially in 16:9 mode. But I have to say I'm disappointed in the quality control Sony seems to have with these Wegas.

Now I have to decide wether I should get another Wega like mine, go with the JVC with 16:9 mode, or pay $200 more and get a Samsung HDTV. Decisions...Decisions....