What's new

Sony Wega's (1 Viewer)

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, just wondering how good are the Sony Wega tv's? They are always really expensive and look really nice but are they worth the money or is it just overpriced? Thanx!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
They are really nice, and they are overpriced. IMHO.

I doubt that you'd be disappointed if you bought one, but if you're counting dollars, you can probably do as well or better for the bucks.

One of the best TVs I had for years and years was a Sony, so I'm not "down" on the brand at all. They do seem to charge a bit for the name, though.

Jan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Jan. And I have enormous respect for Sony. The brand name crops up often when you look around in my house.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Good sets, but you can get similar performance for less money ... with Panasonic or Toshiba.

regards

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Sony does have the better pic and features imo. The service menus are great. I was lucky enough to jump on that super sony sale at Fry's. I picked up the 32HV600 for the same price the toshiba 32HD82 would have cost me($1299).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a 32" Wega and since it was on sale it was cheaper then the other TV's offering similar features so I got lucky.

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
If I had to do it again I would pass on the Sony Wega (I have a 32fv27) and go for a 42-47" widescreen rptv.

SeanOsborne

Auditioning
I bought the 32" and absolutely love it. I paid $799 about two months ago (Best Buy Sale). I wouldn't buy anything else as far as a tube tv goes. I bought an RCA and returned it a week later because the picture quality was poor. I paid another $300 for the Sony and think it was money well spent!!! My last sony was a 27" trinitron that lasted me over 12 years and never gave me any problems.

Good luck,
Sean

Gregory E

Second Unit
I just bought the 32" as well (KV-32FS100). I actually got a really good deal on mine thanks to an employee discount. So far it seems nice, although it needs to be tweaked and calibrated to get the most out of it. I've been doing research the last few days about the Wegas. I think we should just start an "Official Sony Wega thread".
:D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I recently purchased a Sony 36HS500 (36" HDTV Wega) and I like it. I'm partial to Sony tubes -- they've got a good reputation and I've enjoyed Trinitron computer monitors for several years as well. I felt that sticking with a brand that I knew and trusted was worth the $200 extra compared to the Tosh or Pana TVs.

I also appreciate well-designed remotes and menus (since I have to use them a lot) and Sony seems to have the best remotes and best user menus on the market.

But, yes, Sony TVs are expensive. I bought mine for $1800 ($2000 normally, minus 10% BB preferred customer coupon price matched at CC, on a Sony credit card for 12 mo. no payments). You could get a better price with effort, if you are so inclined.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I just bought a Wega last month, and I don't regret 'overspending' on it at all! It's my new best friend. ;)
When it's time to replace this one, I'll buy whichever Wega or similar Sony is out there. I'm not a Sony fanatic, but IMHO they make the best tube sets out there.

Andre F

Screenwriter
They are really nice, and they are overpriced. IMHO.
I agree and would probably not buy one again, at least time around. I seem to have color issues with my set. Toshiba seems to have a nice flat set. As far as monitors go, my Trinitron is beautiful and I LOVE IT!

Gregory E

Second Unit
Just an update on my Wega (KV-32FS100):

Mine will probably be going back to the store. I have greenish streaks on the left side of the picture that are only visible when watching material with a white (or light colored) background. And it doesn't appear to be a degaussing problem. Other than that, the set looked great...especially in 16:9 mode. But I have to say I'm disappointed in the quality control Sony seems to have with these Wegas.

Now I have to decide wether I should get another Wega like mine, go with the JVC with 16:9 mode, or pay $200 more and get a Samsung HDTV. Decisions...Decisions....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks