Sony Wegas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor_W, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Victor_W

Victor_W Agent

Hi,

I am considering getting a 24 or 27 inch for my room. I've settled on the WEGA series. I am thinking of eithr the
    27 inch FS100 model or the 24 inch FV300 model. I am a HUGE dvd fan, so the 16:9 compression is a big deal for me, hence I am leaning towards teh 27 FS100. If anyone has an opinion on either of these 2 models or any other sony 27 incher model, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    vic

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I had an older 27FS16 for a couple of years (just replaced with a Panny 53WX42 [​IMG]), and aside from it's small size I was really pleased. You won't be disappointed!

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Victor,

I would purchase the largest screen size that you can afford. If you are DVD watcher and will utilize the 16:9 compression, IMHO, the larger the better.

I own two Wegas, a 36" and 24" and would strongly suggest the 27" if those are your two choices.

Charles

4. JoshR

JoshR Agent

I'm confused - I thought both of those series had the 16:9 compression. In fact, I just checked and yes, they do. The only difference appears to be that on the FV's, it's automatic. Big deal. There's also a bunch of other features on the FV, such as 3-D comb filter. I'm not convinced these things make a great deal of difference, so I lean towards the larger-for-the-same-price FS series. Can anyone verify that the FV's look better, in their opinion?
    I'm thinking of getting a 32FS100, btw...I can get ahold of one for $640 and I do believe I'm going to do exactly that. [​IMG]
    Quick question just to make sure: 16:9 mode, 16:9 enhanced mode, 'squeeze mode', these are all the same thing, right? Where the scan lines squish down instead of being chopped off, so you get better resolution, sort of?

5. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Victor,
    I agree that the squeeze is a must and I also agree with others that you should maximize the screen size, if possible. So, my vote is for the 27 FS100.
    I know you said you decided on a Sony, but there is also a 27 inch Samsung that has the squeeze feature and is HDTV-ready. This set is barely more expensive than the 27 inch analog Wega and is high-def. If you truly love dvd's than maybe you should look at this set and watch your dvd's in progressive video. Just a thought. [​IMG]

6. JoshR

JoshR Agent

I checked all the faqs and I still don't understand: both of these models list having 16:9 mode as a feature, and isn't that the same as squeeze mode?

7. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Yes, both of them have "the squeeze" otherwise known as "16:9 enhanced mode". Having it done automatically is awfully nice but not really a big deal. If the difference is less than $100 it would probably be worth it.

I think the 27" WEGA would be an awfully nice TV for watching DVD's. Do it.

8. Victor_W

Victor_W Agent

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. I think I am gonna go for the 27FS100. I'm looking at Sony's because I can get them cheap (about $370 for the FS100). I compared the 27FS100 to all the other 27 inchers that sony has. It seems to me the only diff between the FS100 and the FV is that the FV has either picture in picture and/or 3D comb. filter and/or the auto 16:9 adjustment.

I don't care much for sound because i have a surround sound system.

Is that all the differences between the 27inchers? Like the 27FS100 does EVERYTHING the 27FV300 can do, except for the auto 16:9 and the 3D comb filter and PIP rite?

Thanks,

vic

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Victor,
    Sounds right to me. Also, if watching dvd's is the main concern than don't worry about the comb filter - it is bypassed when using a component connection via a dvd player (maybe RF signals are the only ones that use it??)

10. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Jason

Perfect timing...I just researched 27" analog TVs and recommended this to a good friend. But where can you get it for $360?? I haven't seen it discounted much at all. Is it a reputable place?? Thanks!

Jeff

11. Victor_W

Victor_W Agent

Hey dude..,..

I am actually going to be getting this from someone that works at Sony. It isn't from any online store or deal.

Sorry dude..

vic