SONY WEGA Upgrade Dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StuW, Mar 12, 2002.

1. StuW

StuW Auditioning

I am currently using a Sony KV-32S40 set in my Home Theater. The set is fine with no problems.

Heres the hitch.......I want a Wega KV-32FS13......my dilemma is I'm not sure how much if any the picture quality would change between the Wega and my current Sony set?

Would it be much of a change in picture quality?

I view a fair number of DVD's and watch TV through my Dish Network Sat system.

The DVD and Sat is hooked to my current set using S-video.

Does the Composite hookup for the DVD enhance the picture quality enough that you can notice it?

I am curious about the Anamorphic Squeeze viewing of my DVD's.

Does the KV-32FS13 have the Automatic Squeeze, or do you have to use the Setup Menus on the set to view in the Anamorphic Squeeze?

Thanks in Advance!

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Stu- The 32FS13 does not do the squeeze mode automatically. You have to go into the setup menu to select it. It's easily enough done, but it is quite a few button pushes (If I remember correctly, the "setup" menu is the fourth menu over and the 16x9 mode is the fifth selection down on that menu). I've programmed a macro on my remote so that I only have to push that one button to select the squeeze mode. (Well, usually; sometimes it selects a different onscreen language.) So it's not really a big deal to select the compressed mode, but automatic would be nice.

As far as the difference between component and S-Video connections, it won't be a night and day difference. I certainly wouldn't buy it just for the sake of the component connection. The squeeze mode will make more of a difference than the component video will.

Since you already have a 32" Sony that you're pleased with, to be honest I'm not even sure that the squeeze mode (even combined with component video) would make enough of a difference for you to "know" that the upgrade was worthwhile. I upgraded from an 8-year old 27" Zenith (without the squeeze mode and without component video), and sometimes I wonder if I should have just waited until my Zenith died before replacing it.

But if you do replace your set, you will definitely notice an improvement with the squeeze mode and a subtle improvement with the component video.

Good luck!

Steve K.

Steve K.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Actually, I bet he will be pleased as punch with the 16:9 mode--16:9-encoded DVDs will take on the smoothest, most film-like look short of having a 480p-capable display. Further, the optics in the WEGA are more sophisticated than in his "conventional" Trinitron. The set will be a genuine step up.

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I agree with Jack. Stu, I think your reaction will be the same as mine when I upgraded from an old Magnavox 27" to my now 8 month old Sony WEGA KV-32FV27. [​IMG]

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Looks like I may be outnumbered on this. :b
    I guess I'm still (slightly) in the "Should I have done it?" buyer's remorse category. I'm not in the "What on earth was I thinking?" category, but I'm also not in the "Why didn't I do this before?" category either.
    I think you'll be happy with the Wega, and most likely you'll have less buyer's remorse than me (I can be a real cheapskate sometimes!) [​IMG]
    Enjoy!
    Steve K.

6. Mitch_B

Mitch_B Extra

Stu,

I purchased my KV-32FS13 in January and it was an upgrade from my SONY 32" Trinitron. I was interested in the 16:9 mode as well as the component option. I also was fed up with the geometry problems on my old TV.

After a month and a half I am very pleased with the WEGA. The 16:9 enhanced mode and component connection make my DVD viewing experience close to 100% better, its beautiful. The only thing that I have found that upsets me is the slight bowing of the horizontal lines which has been termed the "funhouse effect". Seems that most, if not all, WEGAs in this category experience it at varying levels as it is inherent do the design. You might want to search this forum for other problems WEGA owners have been experiencing.

So, in summary, get rid of that Trinitron and enjoy a new WEGA. Good luck!

7. StuW

StuW Auditioning

Thanks for all the inputs!

With regard to the "funhouse effect", it's my understanding that this is only apparent when viewing a DVD, is that correct, or might it be present while watching tv using my Sat?

Stu

8. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I have a Wega that is getting replaced because the geometry problems are so bad. You'll see the funhouse effect and other geometry problems (if the TV has them) on all sources. It's less noticeable when in 16:9 mode simply because the entire image is squeezed.

If you can get a Wega with minimal issues, it really is the best-looking NTSC TV on the market.

9. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Count me in on the geometry problems. I am on my second Wega

which is much better than the first but still has all the geometry issues associated with this model.

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I bet the picture on the HS model will look better than the FS because the HS has more phosphor sets (to accomadate 1080i)...does this sound like a fair statement?

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

12. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I got my KV-32FS13 about a month ago or so. Calibrated once and forgot about it. No probs to date (can you all hear me knocking on wood?). Very happy with the squeeze mode, despite having to navigate the menu to get it.....Then again, I'm used to cheap TV's where it's not been an option. Cable picture quality is dissapointing, but that has nothing to do the the TV and everything to do with the signal. If I watched more network television, it might be an issue and I'd be forced to go for a dish, but at present it's fine.

--Steve

13. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator