Sony Wega TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Suit, Nov 21, 2002.

1. John Suit

John Suit Extra

Ok, I'm looking at the Sony Wega TV [24-27"], depending on what fits in my A/V cabinet.

What is a good 27" TV out there?

My current one is an RCA which is a few years old, and only has coax cable input, no RCA or S-Video or anything like that.

Thanks!

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I'd recommend the Sony 27" Wega. One of the nicer features of this analog set is the 16:9 Enhanced mode. If you have a DVD player and enjoy widescreen movies, this feature is too good to be true. I think some other manufacturers (Panasonic, Toshiba) may have this feature on the 27" and above models as well... look for it.

I've always been impressed with Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba for direct view sets.

I just bought a 32" Wega (not ready to take the plunge into HD, given the lack of programming and standards). It's got the 16:9 Enhanced mode, flat tube and component video inputs... all must-haves for a quality direct-view...

-Scott

3. John Suit

John Suit Extra

What does 16:9 Enhanced mode do?

It doesn't zoom in does it? Even with my 17" computer monitor, I prefer the correct aspect ratio to missing part of the movie.

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

It compresses the horizontal resolution lines so it does not waste them on the black bars on top and bottom. This does two things. First, It lets you use the full resolution of your tv. Second, you get perfectly black bars on top and bottom.

5. John Suit

John Suit Extra

SO, instead of the black bars on top & bottom that come from the DVD on my current TV, there would be "TV-Generated" black bars on top & bottom, replacing the ones from the DVD?

That sounds good!

6. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

But, more importantly, all (or, almost all) of your TV's scan lines that would normally display black are now focused on the 16:9 area, effectively increasing resolution of the PICTURE by 33% and making scanlines almost disappear.

Very cool feature.

-Scott

7. Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald Stunt Coordinator

It's definitely worth it. It's also called an "automatic anamorphic squeeze". Honestly I'm not sure if it works on all types of inputs (composite, s-video). I have component inputs/outputs from my dvd player--basically the tv is smart enough to know it's receiving an anamorphic picture, and compresses it so that all the tv's available horizontal lines of resolution are available for the picture, rather than "wasting" them on the black bars. I have a 36" XBR400 that I've had for about 3 years, and that's pretty the main reason I bought it back then.

The Wegas have a ton of settings you can tinker with, too.

-Joe

8. I'm very happy with the performance of my 27" WEGA, 16x9 enhanced mode is a must.

I purchased this set last year.

But this feature is becoming more common on many direct-view sets (27" and larger) at this point.

You may look for a unit that automatically switches modes for you...

Enabling 16x9 in the WEGA menu is getting old fast...many DVDs have an annoying mixture of enhanced/non-enhanced materials.

You may want to do some research, this year's WEGA may auto-detect 16x9.

Frank

9. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

The 2001 and 2002 "FV" series Wegas will enable the 16x9 enhanced mode automatically.
    However, the 2001 and 2002 "FS" series will not do it automatically. You have to do it manually. Which is not that difficult, but can become inconvenient when you're switching from anamorphic to non-anamorphic at one sitting, like Frank said.
    I currently have the 2001 "FS" series Wega (32FS13) and I love it. However, the auto 16x9 would be nice. If you want the 16x9 mode to be automatic, go with the "FV" series Wegas.
    Best Direct-View you can get, before you go HD. IMHO [​IMG]
    Good Luck

10. Ning Wong

Ning Wong Stunt Coordinator

if u get a programmable remote, you can just get an FS tv and then program a button to switch back and forth automatically. [​IMG]
    i had the 27" wega, but then i returned it and got the 27" tau instead. [​IMG] I love it!

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Chalk me up as another satisfied Wega owner (mostly due to the 16:9 mode). Here is some nice information about the 16:9 enhanced mode written by yours truly.

12. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I picked up the Sony Wega FS200 27" two weeks ago at BestBuy for $470 with a 10% off coupon. This model has the 2 Tuner PIP which is implemented very nice. I like the favorite channel feature too. The key selling point to me was the clean flat screen picture and the 16:9 mode. I like the remote alot too.

The Trinitron default factory picture is Torch mode(very bright). But with some basic tweaking in the menu, it is awesome now. This is a bedroom TV so will now be putting my older Toshiba 3109 DVD player with it for "lazy" viewing. With the Sony's vertical squeeze, I will be able to make the Toshiba's weaker downconversion a non-factor! Great feature!

Just got a Panasonic CP72 DVD player for main living room viewing. Only thing left to buy now is a digital large screen.

13. Since this thread is turning into a WEGA love-in, I was wondering if anyone else is seeing convergence problems with their sets.

My WEGA seem to have a convergence problem that is clearly visible on letterbox images.

The top line of the letterboxed image breaks to solid red on the left and solid blue on the right.

The problem may be there in full screen images too, but overscan keeps it out of the visible area.

I read somewhere that 27" units do not have a convergence correction tool.

Anyone one else seeing this problem on their set or know if it can be corrected through the service menu?

I tweaked the set for red push after purchase, but I believe this problem was there from day one.

Frank

14. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

My Wega is almost 2 years old now. (KV-36FS12). I am very happy with it. It has been trouble-free so far. But I have gone into the service menu to tweak up the geometry, adjust for red push, better blacks, etc. As well as the usual tweaks with VE or Avia.
    I just went through all the adjustment settings this morning, and after about 6 months of prior calibration, all the settings were still appropriate. A good sign the electronics as well as the tube itself is holding up just fine, no drift.
    The 16:9 enchancement is the excellent, it adds so much more to your enjoyment of fine films.
    If that feature was available on a flat screen Toshiba I may have gone that way. We have 32" Cinema Series in the bedroom and I really think it has superior color to the Sony.
    The flat screen of the Wega is really pushing it for geometric perfection. I am not sure how well they can do it with their 40" model, unless they have really perfected it by now.
    All in all, a very fine set. They have had some issues on earlier models, but overall seem to have been setting the pace for others to follow.

15. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

This happened to me too. I tried tweaking it out in the service menu, but no dice. However, it's not that major...it's easy to live with.