Sony WEGA Trinitron randomly emitting high frequency noise...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott_L, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    (27FS100) This high frequency sound occurs at random and is extremely annoying. I could have the TV on for hours without making the noise. Sometimes it starts 10 minutes after the TV has been on. Switching channels temporarily(seconds)stops the problem. Selecting video mode eliminates the noise until I switch back to regular TV broadcasting.
    Pushing on the TV has a direct affect on the noise when it starts. If I push on it a bit the noise may stop, sometimes for hours.
    I had an old GE TV a few years back that had a similar problem. I had to prop up the front edge of the TV a few inches to get the high frequency noise to stop, but this issue eventually escalated and the TV died after a few years.
    I'm afraid my Sony will have the same fate.
    Any ideas what's causing this??

Thanks-----Scott

2. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    No ideas? [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott, all CRTs emit these high frequencies; it's normal. Some people simply are more sensitive to it than others -- and some people cannot hear it at all. It may seem intermittent in intensity. But all you have to do is cock your head to the side and the intensity level of the noise may either decrease or increase. At the very least, you now know that your hearing capabilities are at the 15 kHz level.

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    This sound is not made all the time though. I can stop the sound for a time simply by slightly tilting back the top of the TV. Sometimes all it takes is a nudge to get it to stop.
    Head positioning isn't a factor in hearing this sound.

Thanks----Scott

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Oh man another Scott L, I thought I was being haxxed [​IMG]

Anyway I have a 32" wega and hear the same thing, but it's not random. It's on pretty much all the time. [​IMG] I just ignore it and I seem to forget about it. I'll try changing video modes and see if I hear a difference.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott, when you tilt the unit you are achieving the same thing as simply cocking your head to one side or the other; the directional aspect of the high-frequency noise is being altered. Again, this is the nature of the beast. (I can be in another room altogether, and tell if there is a television set on in a house, even with its audio muted. Since I've lived with this phenomenon all my life, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Some monitors emit a more intense noise than others.)

7. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    hehe. I appreciate your thoughts, but that is not what I am talking about. This noise is different than the usual high frequency noise one hears when a TV is on. I hear this sound as well with most TV's, but that doesn't bother me.
    Again, the noise I'm describing is not altered by a mere change in head orientation.
    Through repeatable experimentation I can eliminate the sound by (at least temporarily) (A) Switching channels.
    (B)Putting the TV in VIDEO mode) (C) Pushing on the TV, sometimes just giving it a nudge(EVEN WITHOUT CHANGING IT'S PHYSICAL ORIENTATION)(D) Turning the TV on and off a few times.
    All this is observed regardless of my head orientation.
    Again, This is observed regardless of my head orientation. [​IMG] For further clarification, when the sound is made I can walk all around the room, in front, beside and behind the TV without any change in the sound. The only thing(S) that changes the sound are the examples I mentioned above.
    Thank you----Scott [​IMG]