Sony Wega Stands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I've settled on the Wega KV-36FV27 as my first "real" TV purchase (after a two el cheapo sets) and I'm wondering if the stand that Sony sells to accompany it is worth it.
    TV: http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...ns/index.shtml
    Stand: http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...su-36fd4.shtml
    I take pause because the stand supposedly also fits the FS series, which is a completely different style, with the speakers along the bottom of the screen, and a different color to boot.
    Anyone have this stand? Thanks!

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Dave- I can't answer your specific question as I do not have the stand. Whatever stand you consider, please remember that the Sony Wega is a HEAVY television. The weight for my KV32FS13 is listed as 165 pounds! If you step up to the 36" model, it goes to about 225 pounds! And a good portion of that weight is toward the front of the set. So please make sure that whatever stand you get will accomodate the weight safely. I have mine in an entertainment center, but I had to cut out a portion of the back, and I also reinforced the shelf that the television sits on. Better safe than sorry!

Steve K.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Absolutely: Invest in the stand. As Steve notes, these things are heavy, very heavy.

4. Dave Schofield

Yes, the Wegas are extremely heavy. My basic option is the "official" stand or making my own (2x6's with plenty of cross pieces). The only advantages to making my own is price and space for my components, since that stand doesn't appear to have much room for components in it.

5. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I have the 32" Wega and it looks sharp on the stand. It comes with a few diffrent touches for each TV.

6. Dave Schofield

Steve, do you have a FS or FV? Secondly, have any pictures? I've never seen a TV on the stand...

7. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I have the FV series. I don't have any pictures yet, but once put together it looks like one solid piece. Kind of like a RPTV.

P.S. Beware Wega geometry problems---I am on my second!