What's new

Sony WEGA question... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Is there anything the analog Sony WEGAs offer over similar models made by Toshiba and/or Samsung? The price is more or less the same this week since Best Buy and Future Shop are offering free stands with Sony TVs, which I'd need to buy for any TV anyways. I thought I'd decided on the Toshiba, but the Sony now enters into the equation, and once again I'm in doubt about which I should purchase.

Is one set friendlier to calibrate than the other? Post-calibration, will one set be remarkably better than the other? And what is this geometry problem people keep talking about?

(BTW, I'm looking at the 32" models, KV32FS100 vs 32AF43)

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Sony has the advantage of a user menu-accessible 16:9 mode. On the other hand, prices for HD-capable sets are falling so fast I'd recommend that you hold out a bit and shop for an ATSC-capable set.

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony has the advantage of the Trinitron picture tube, which is significantly better technology than any other picture tube on the market.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
What's an ATSC-capable set? And I've been looking at the Samsung 30" Widescreen HDTV model, but for some reason the picture isn't as crisp as other HDTV models. Nevertheless, we Canadians seem to suffer from a narower selection with higher pricing than you guys south of the border.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
ATSC = "Advanced Television Systems Committee," which comprises several newer video formats, including high definition (720p and 1080i). Replaces the current NTSC (National Television Standard Committee) format being phased out over the next few years.

The Samsung widescreen set is popular. But note also that some of Sony's HD-capable monitors are rapidly descending in price. The KV-32HS510, for example, can be found at around $1,100 at some retailers. Better to spring for a future-compatible model in my opinion. It just doesn't make sense to me to spend more than $600-$700 on an NTSC-only design these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks