SONY WEGA problem - Hard to describe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

My Sony Wega 36" (KV-36FV16) had some problems in the past with my two Panasonic VCRs. Sometimes the image while playing tapes would have a strange shifting, like a ghost image, which would flicker back and forth. It was terribly distracting (and not the fault of the VCRs, which played fine on any other TV).
    I bought a JVC 7800 and when Time Base Correction was ON, this problem would go away. So I forgot about the problem and moved on.
    Now, when I first hooked up my new Home Theater PC, the shifting was back. So I played with the settings, both in the ATI DVD menu and in the Display properties menus as well. After some adjustments, I was able to get rid of the shifting. Terrific!
    Unfortunately, since I did the needed registry tweaks to fix the black level, the shifting is back and nothing I do will stop it. It's actually much worse than before, for some reason. If I hook the HTPC up to my 27" Sony, the image is perfect. It's a Sony Wega problem. I hooked my old Panasonic VCR up, presto, the problem is there.
    Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? I am having a Sears tech come over tomorrow to look at my set for the uneven brightness problem. I'll be demanding that coil replacement that is reported to make the problem nearly impossible to detect (whereas right now it's blatantly obvious).
    I will also show him this shifting/ghosting problem.
    Fingers crossed.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Matt - Believe it or not but I think I have a similar problem with my 36-FV26 when using my VCR (Toshiba W-808). When I first got my Wega I was using a standard Sony Hi-FI VHS VCR and had no problems. However about 4 months ago I added the Toshiba which is an S-VHS connected to the Wega via S-video cable and standard RF coax. When I view a tape using the S-video input I too see what I would describe as "ghosting", "pixalation", or "blurriness". Like you said it is hard to describe without seeing it but when you look at the image it is certainly not right. Switching to the RF coax input does eliminate most of the problem but, I'm back to the usual "poor" image relative to RF coax. Unfortunately, the only TV I have with a S-video input is the Wega so I can't say for certain the the problem is the Wega alone but I feel it is at least partly to blame.
    I have posted this problem here at HTF twice in the past looking for clues but to date I have yet to find a solution. I'm as frustrated about this as you probably are. The whole reason I bought the Toshiba was to capitalize on the S-video connection and the higher resolution of the S-VHS. But the darn thing looks no better (and sometimes worse) then the standard Sony Hi-FI VCR I had connected via composite cables.
    The only theory I have about this is that there is some sort of problem related to the Wega's 3D comb filter and the VCR connection. I think using the S-video connection bypasses the comb filter and that is allowing the "ghosting" problem.
    At least I do not use the Toshiba VCR all that much nor did I spend a lot of money on it. If I do eventually pin point the problem I'll post back here.

3. Matt_Stevens

I'm not alone! [​IMG] My TV has the problem using the composite input as well as the S-Video.
    Does the ghosting on your TV shift back and forth? On mine, the image is perfect for one half a second, then has that strange shifting/ghosting for a second, then is fine for a split second, then the shiting again, etc. etc. etc.
    Damn Sears cancelled my service appointment today and I have to wait until tomorrow. I really hate it how they can up and decide to cancel just hours from when they are supposed to show up.
    ------------------

4. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Yes, mine "shifts" as well. This is part of the reason why it took me so long to recognize that I had a problem. At first I thought I was just imagining things because sometimes the picture did looked fine. But when my wife said to me one night while watching a tape, "what's wrong with the picture" I knew I was not crazy. I find the problem with ghosting is most apparent with close up's on peoples faces or during dark scenes.

5. Matt_Stevens

I confirmed today that like your set, the antenna feed is not affected by this problem, nor is the Component input. Just the S-Video and the Composite.
    I talked with the Sears salesman I bought the set from today and he said he had never heard of it, but that if it cannot be fixed, my warranty would cover a replacement, which means the newer model, since mine is discontinued (replaced). I got his business card. He's always been a good guy and I have purchased a lot of items through him.
    We'll see what the service man says tomorrow (IF he shows).
    Is your set still under warranty?
    ------------------