Sony Wega KDF60WF655 - Looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Peter Overduin, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Yesterday, my Hitachi 57S500, only 18 months old crapped out. I have the Sears extended service agreement and advised them I lost confidence in the TV and did not want it repaired. They took it back and today I chose the above Wega.

Given the suddenness of my buying decision (spent 3 months researching before I bought the Hitachi) I am wondering if anyone can give me any general info about tweaking, set up, etc of this unit. What are its strong and weak points and would calibration help with this type of unit? Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. Scott+G

Scott+G Auditioning

Well if it will help you feel better, I got mine a week ago and I think it is spectacular. The HD images are chilling.

For intial setup, I suggest you go into the Picture mode and select "Standard" rather than the default "Vivid." Also when you get around to serious calibrating [which I have yet to do], selecting "Pro" gives you more options.

3. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

I would think that calibration would help with every type of unit.

Scott+G, if you look at page 98 of the manual: Vivid, Standard and Pro are just three different sets of presets for Picture Brightness, Color, Hue and Sharpness.

My television looked spectacular right out of the box. The colors are more accurate and the black level is better (closer to black) with the "pro" settings, but the overall picture does look a little duller at first since the brightness is lower. I would recommend starting with Pro. I tweaked these levels with Avia for DVD, and I used INHD's "Tune Up" to set the input from my cable box. I've switched to cablecard, and need to get up at 7am next Saturday morning and redo the INHD tune up.

4. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I just bought the 55" model and I am just nuts about it. I only get analogue extended but some HD signals are in the mix and I am just blown away. There is still some tweaking to be done to fix the picture but out of the box its pretty good.

My only real complaint is the remote. It is too narrow for my hands and some of the buttons are poorly located. My biggest complaint is the TV/Video button. If you are on video 1, you have to cycle through all the video inputs, seven in all, before you get back to TV. I am using the the remote from my old Sony which has buttons for TV and each video input.

5. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

If the remote is like my Wega 36" tube, assuming you aren't using all those inputs, you can set them to be hidden when you cycle through the inputs on the remote.
    I just have cable tv, vhs, and 2 dvd inputs enabled from the remote.

Go to the video setup menu and you should be able to find it.

6. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

I agree the remote isn't very comfortable to use, I think the buttons are too small and not well placed. I hit the menu button instead of the enter button a lot when I'm changing channels.

Phil is correct, see page 113 of the manual. In one of the menus you can label the inputs, or set the TV to skip it. But you do have to go through all of the inputs you haven't skipped. However, I have an idea for you, If you hit the "ant/guide" button, just above and to the right of the channel up and down buttons, it should switch the input to TV or Cable directly.

7. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Or you can get a learning remote with macros and set it up to switch through all the inputs automatically with one button press.