Sony WEGA has moving line using component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kory Lasker, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Kory Lasker

Kory Lasker Auditioning

I have a two year old 36" Sony WEGA hooked up via Component from my DVD player. Ever since I've had the set and started using the component in, a vertical scan line appears to move through the set from right to left. It's really noticible during light blue/grey static scenes. I've hooked up other DVD players so I know it's not that. Do you guys have any ideas if my TV needs to be calibrated or is this a defect that Sony would have to repair?

Thanks,

Kory

2. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

I haven't been on this forum in quite a while, but believe I was part of the discussion on the same subject.
    It's using the component and Svideo inputs together that's seems to be the problem.
    I use SVdieo from my Sat rcvr. If I disconnect it, the line goes away. Just turning of the Sat receiver when watching DVDs does not seem to fix it.
    I just bought a new DVD player Panny CP72, and the line was there. I did disconnect all my digital input from the DVD player and am using 5.1 analog. That actually seemed to reduce the problem. I don't see it much or very faintly anymore.
    I am sure it's poor signal isolation in the Wega.
    My Wega has been very good by the way. I went through the service menu and did the basic geometry alignments, etc. and of course the standard calibrations with Avia, etc.
    It still has some geometry issues, but I only notice them if I really look for them. Have the set for 2 years, now and with an extended warranty, but it has been very reilable day in day out.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

if you are using cheapo cables, that could be your problem (i.e. the cables that come w/ DVd players)

4. DaleBesh

Cables were the first place I looked almost 2 years ago. I always run the best. Have Bettercables serpents. Can put in cheapies, makes no difference on the 'line' . Only on the image.

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Moving lines across the screen is often power-related. You could try plugging everything into a surge protector that filters out interference, such as the ones Monster Power makes. I've seen these clear up any number of similar problems.

6. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

There is a service bulletin about this issue on certain models. You will probably need to do two things. One , find an authorized servicer who reads his bulletins (or at least has all the software installed so he can look it up, no one could read 2 gigs of bulletins). Second, convince someone in consumer relations that you shouldn't have to pay for it since you couldn't have known about the problem while it was in warranty because you probably didn't have any source of component signals at that time.

7. DaleBesh

Here is the fix for the 'moving' line according to a reviewer at audioreview.com
    Summary:
    I had a very frustrating time getting the white bar problem fixed that I had to inform people what to do. Don't bother calling Sony because you'll just get the help desk who are worthless. Most sony technicians haven't heard of it and don't know how to fix it either. You have to inform the sony techs what service bulletin it is so they can get the bulletin from Sony. Sony doesn't want anyone to have their service bulleting #s but screw them if they won't let their help desk know whats going on or their technicians.
    This summary is to inform people what to do to get "the white vertical bar" problem fixed. This problem is a vertical white bar about a half inch wide that pans from the right side of the screen to the left about each 5-10 seconds or so. It happens when you have your satellite signal coming into the s-video port in the tv while at the same time watching a dvd via the component video cables.
    If it's still under the sony manufacter warranty (I think 1 year), here is what you do:
    Goto the sony website at www.sel.sony.com. Click on "service and support". Click on "electronics". Go down to service, and click on "service locator". Under category, choose "tv products, enter your zip code and click on submit.
    Call one of these places. Tell them what is happening and tell them you alread have the number of the Sony Tech Bulletin that solves the problem. The number is; 520R-2. (five, two, zero, R dash 2). The technican needs to get that bulletin from sony and come out and fix the TV. You need to make a copy of your sales reciept and give it to the technician when they come out.
    Do this and the white bar will be gone.
    Hopefully this will save someone a lot of time, frustration and possibly having to go out and buy a different TV.
    If your not still under the Sony warranty then you'll probably have to pay for the service call unless you got and Extended warranty from the place you bought the TV from.

8. DaleBesh

This fix should be obtainable in or out of warranty, and regardless of whether it's a Sony warranty or not.
    It would be nice to know what the actual fix is, as you can even order Sony TV parts through Sears.
    Since I got my Panny DVD (CP72) player, and run only the analog audio out to my receiver (5.1EXT and 2 ch CD) the moving line is gone.
    I have no explanation other than something changing in the grounding scheme.
    I never had the problem very bad, but now it appears to be gone. It was strange when I had it, now seems even stranger that's it gone.

9. DaleBesh

Before you call a tech, why not try hooking something to the antenna input of the Wega? Rabbit ears, etc. Someone on a newsgroup said that actually worked for them.
    The theory is when components and S Video are both hooked up you see a reflection of the 'open' antenna input.
    If that's the case, the fix in the service bulletin is probably a couple of decoupling caps, etc. Probably a $200 service call if you are out of warranty.

10. Kory Lasker

Kory Lasker Auditioning

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I tried a few things and had mixed results. First, I got a quality S-Video cable to see if that would shield the signal some what but that did absolutely nothing. Certainly, as Dale and others have mentioned, it's a problem internal to the TV and no cable is going to fix that. I then simply removed the S-Video cable from the TiVo (that was always outputting a signal) and saw the line disappear. So, I ended up using my receiver to do my video switching for me using the VCR output because the receiver would not send a signal over unlike the "TV/DBS" output. I can live with the results this way and not need to pay Sony an out-of-warranty service call better used for a 16x9 HDTV setup in the future. [​IMG]

11. DaleBesh

Kory,
    You didn't mention attaching anything to the open antenna terminal.

12. DaleBesh

Well, this is my last commment on this thread.
    With components in and the brightness cranked up I did see the infamous moving white line. Attaching anything to the antenna input had no effect.
    So now I know the moving line is still there, but I no longer see it when the display is at it's calibrated setting.
    The best of luck to the rest of you still plagued with this phenomena. Go for the Sony solution, find the service bulletin and do the 'fix' yourself, or learn to live with it. That's all I can offer.