What's new

Sony Wega graininess (1 Viewer)

StevenB

Agent
Hello,
I've had this Sony Wega 27FS17 for 2 months now. I like it alot and have gotten quite used to it. However, when I went 'browsing' at the department store the other day, I noticed that the Wega's in comparison to other brands have quite a grainy screen. I guess being used to it, I never noticed it that much before. Now everytime I watch the TV, I am baffled by the grain. Is this a common issue in Sony Wega?
I messed with the sharpness but that really didn't do much. DVD's are a touch better, but it is still noticeable. I think I am going to a 16:9 set very soon, perhaps non-Sony. Thanks for any tips on the 'grainy bug'. FWIW, there is no 'funhouse effect' on my system as others have stated is common with these sets.
Steve

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Wegas can be grainy if they aren't calibrated properly. The demos at the stores probably have the contrast and brightness too high and the SVM on.

Brian Shoop

Auditioning
I agree with Jeff, Wegas can be grainy if they aren't calibrated. I have a 36 inch Wega. Set yours to movie mode and have picture set in the middle or lower, sharpness in the middle and SVM OFF. If it seems dull compaired to what your use to, give it some time and you'll notice that it actually gives it a better picture.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 27fs13, the same model except mine doesn't have the PIP feature. If your WEGA is properly calibrated (using AVIA or VE), put in an anamorphic widescreen DVD and turn the WEGA's Enhanced 16x9 feature on. If you have a decent DVD player, the picture should look VERY smooth when viewed from normal veiwing distance (like 8-11 feet). If your WEGA looks grainy after proper calibration and using an anamorphic DVD, their might be a problem with your set.

I am guessing it just isn't properly calibrated and/or you are just seeing the grain from your cable TV signal, which won't improve no matter how good your TV is. With proper calibration and good source material, I don't think you can find a better picture in a 27" set.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
If the tv's were hooked up with coax at the store, you might mean Fuzziness. I know that Sony television tuners are VERY sensitive to lower dB levels. With as much as the signal is split in a retail store, this could be what you are seeing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are we talking picture snow then? Well, the signals being split who knows how many ways in a chain store are nothing to behold, and they certainly do not do justice to almost any display.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the dot pitch (stripe pitch for Sony Trinitrons and some others)is large, or if the black spaces between the dots or stripes are large in comparision, the picture will appear grainy whe viewed up close.
If the source is composite, or an NTSC broadcast, and the comb filter is not all that great the picture will appear grainy when viewed up close.
If the pixel width of the doubler or any digital processing inside the TV is mediocre, the picture may appear grainy. DVD has a pixel width of 704 to 720 depending on the disk, while doublers with 640 pixels across (some 512?) have been around in years past.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
However, when I went 'browsing' at the department store the other day, I noticed that the Wega's in comparison to other brands have quite a grainy screen.
Department stores turn the contrast way up, as well as the edge enhancement (VM) feature to 'high.' Ordinarily broadcast television, especially when viewed on a pristine WEGA screen (which reveals flaws that older model televisions smooth over) will look grainy. Considering the contrast and 'enhancement' is turned up, you get a pretty terrible picture.

Somtimes for kicks, I pass a floor model WEGA and do basic menu calibration... the difference is night and day, and you'd be shocked at how better it looks.

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks