Sony Wega - Enhanced 16:9 mode?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy_Bu, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Hi all,

My brother is having a problem that I can't track down using my Toshiba rear projection TV.

He has a 4:3 Sony Wega (I am not sure the exact model number but it looks identical to the KV36FS120)

He is setting up his DVD player for progressive scan and he is using the enhanced 16:9 mode of the Sony Wega's and his anamorphic DVD's are being displayed with the people tall and thin.

If the Sony Wega is using the 16:9 mode, what should the DVD player be set to (4:3 or 16:9)? Or is the problem possibly somewhere else.

Andy

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm many displays will only give you the 16:9 enhanced mode on HD 720p / 1080i....

Mine is like that, I got a Zenith DVB-318. (Now you have to load the older firmware) Run it at 1080i through component and set the dvd player as if I have a 16:9 display.

It is called locking full on 480p. If that is the issue, you have to set the player for 4:3 and you won't have access to the native 16:9 mode of the display.

3. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

I think the Sony uses a 16:9 "squeeze" feature similar to that found on JVC models. This being the case then you want your dvd player set to 16:9. Because what you are displaying on your screen is a 16:9 image squeezed from a 4:3 screen.

I hope that makes sense.

4. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Yes I think this does based on what he has told me. I am going to ask him to switch to 16:9 mode fom the DVD player.

By the way, will he have to constantly switch the DVD player based on if he is putting in a widescreen movie or a full frame movie?

Andy

5. John S

John S Producer

No, you will only have to take the display out of Native 16:9 mode, or once again, that's how my system works anyways.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

First, this model Sony cannot do progressive scanning; it is NTSC only.

But to use the 16:9 mode, set the DVD player's picture output to 16:9 and be done with it. You'll never need to go there again. Then, assuming that this Sony has the automatic 16:9 detection, enjoy. Some models, however, require that the user turns on the 16:9 mode manually.

7. John S

John S Producer

Andy?? If you not using the component video or digital connection, you are not sending any progressive scan to the display. I was not even aware that any 4:3 NTSC only sets had a native widescreen mode. A little before my time I suppose.

8. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

That is nice, thanks!

Can you give a quick explanation as to why a 4:3 disc played on a DVD player set to 16:9 mode will work on a 4:3 tv with no distortions?

Andy

9. John S

John S Producer

Because it does that's why.... [​IMG]

Not really sure of the techincals of it though it just seems to have no control if the disc is either non-anamorphic and/or is really 1.33:1

Only anamorphic DVD's / enhanced for 16:9 displays are treated any different by the aspect setting on the player itself.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The set recognizes 16:9-encoded sources and displays them as such. For 4:3-encoded material, it displays them in 4:3. It recognizes the flags on the DVD.

11. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

OK this is what I was wondering. So the 16x9 mode on the DVD player then means nothing to a 4:3 disc. Cool that makes sense then.

Thank you

Andy

12. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I have the Sony 36" XBR, and i have to say the auto 16x9 is fantastic to have. Some of those old Fox DVDs where the menu is anamorphic but the movie isn't are a pain. Some movie extras seem to always have a mix of anamorphic and non stuff, once again, nice not to have to switch. The Sony 36" picture tube still beats just about anything else, great color and picture detail. IMO

13. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

After putting the DVD player into 16:9 mode, is he actually seeing the picture in a 16:9 shape (with black stripes at the top and bottom?

The 16:9 mode on the TV may need a manual selection using the TV's remote. The DVD player should be left in 16:9 mode when the TV also has 16:9 mode.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

>>> why a 4:3 DVD played on a player in 16:9 mode has no distortions

When the player is in 16:9 mode it outputs video from all DVD's as-is.

When the player is in 4:3 letterbox mode, it outputs video for non-anamorphic (4:3, full frame, and letterbox) disks as-is and digests the video of anamorphic disks to add black bars at top and bottom.

14. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    So we need to leave our DVD players set to 16x9 in order to get the enhanced picture quality?

15. John S

John S Producer

yes. Native 16:9 mode means just that....

When you use it source devices must be set for a 16:9 display for the geometry to be correct.

You know circles to be circles, ect..ect...

Beware, as I said some 4:3 sets lock full when fed 480p and only really offer the mode on 1080i input. One of the reasons for me, the Zenith DVB-318 is maybe the ultimate DVD player for my situation. 1080i out component video, player set that I have a true 16:9 display, display in native 16:9 mode.

16. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    On my Sony TV I have to manually set the TV to Enhanced 16x9. But when I change the mode to watch Direct TV it turns off, which is great. I just wish it would go back on automatically when I change the mode back to DVD.

17. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

If people are tall and thin he probably already has the DVD player set to 16:9. So like others have said there is probably a button on his remote that squeezes the image to the proper AR. Either that or there may be a setting in his TVs setup menus to turn the 16:9 squeeze feature on.

I have a JVC 32" I-Art that is like this and its great.
    Put in movie watch non Anomorphic previews. Once movie starts hit 16:9 button on remote. Enjoy way better picture quality then sets that have to use 4:3 Letterbox mode on there DVD players.

18. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

The last time that I kept up with the progressive scan/vertical squeeze on selected tvs (which has been quite sometime), tvs with the autodetect could not reconize a 16x9 signal from a progressive scan dvd player. You would have to manually engage it. From what John S says, it sounds like that this is not completely true any more.

Anyone have an idea of which sets or type of sets (hi-def ready, hi-def, etc.) would be able to display the progressive scan dvd signal without having to manually switch the tv to 16x9 mode?

I have the Sony Wega KD-36XS955 hi def TV and am considering replacing my old Toshiba SD-2109.

thanks!