What's new

Sony Wega debate: 32FV27 vs. 36FS13 (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Is the picture quality in the 32FV27 significantly better than it would be in a 36FS13. I know the 36FS13 is $100 more, but it is for 25%more viewing area, but I heard that the Sony FV TV's and much better than the Sony FS TV's, or is that nonsense? I prefer the 36", but the 32FV27 has that 3D Digital comb filter from Sony or something, wasn't sure. PIP is not a big deal for me either. Would really like some help.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
IMO, the picture on the Sony KV-32FV27 was far better than that of the picture on the FS12. That's one of the main reasons I opted for the FV27 (that, and the fact that I couldn't afford an XBR model -- D'oh!). I've been very happy with my FV27. DVDs look FANTASTIC. The main difference between the FS12 models and the FV27s is that the FV series does the Anamorphic Squeeze trick automatically. Of course, this results in a superior DVD picture. Why? Because the possible resolution of a DVD is "squeezed" into the picture area (the black bars are now just empty, unused screen space).

Another benefit that sold me was its automatic 4:3 signal detection This way you won't have to change the setting of your DVD player every time you watch 4:3 material.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you watch much cable or over the air broadcast tv,or still use a vhs vcr, the better comb filter will make a very noticeable difference, especially on anything bigger than 27".
The FS will do the squeeze, but ya gotta do it manually in the user menu, it's not automatic.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I don't get it. Why would you need to change the setting on your DVD player? I have a 32FS12 and have never had to change it from 16x9 no matter what I play.

Anyway, another advantage to the FV series is you can fix the horrible overscan problem with 16x9 material without affecting 4x3 viewing, in the service menu. You can't do that with the FS series.

Jeff

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Checking the 16:9 Enhancment mode using Avia, I found my 36FS13's overscan minimal. I have my dvd output to 16:9, so maybe this is the reason. I also didn't like having to go into the menu everytime I wanted to use the enhancement mode. A remote that will let you record macros is a good addition to any home theater set-up. I use the Sony RM-AV2100. It works great for me.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The FV-series WEGAs also have better comb filters. As far as non-ATSC sets go, it's hard to beat the Sony WEGAs, either in their FV or FS denominations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks