What's new

Sony WEGA auto-16:9 squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I just read in another thread that WEGA sets that do the "anamorphic squeeze" will do it automatically, in s-video mode. Is this true? Does one need to do anything special to set it up? Is it true of non-XBR WEGA sets? I just installed and set up a 36" WEGA and Panasonic dv-rv31 dvd player for some friends. Their WEGA is either the kv-36fv16 or the kv-36fs16, I think (can't remember the exact model.)
Any info would be appreciated!
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This probably should have been asked in the TV/Projector's forum, but yes, the non-XBR WEGAS will do it. The -16 & -17, as well as the -26 and -27 will all to it automatically, it is merely a setting in the menu. The -12 and -13 will do it alos, but not automatically.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Not all the Wegas will do this automatically. I recently purchased an FV16 for my father, and it does the squeeze with a menu adjustment (note: that's the consumer menu, not service).
I can't really keep them straight, but I am fairly certain that the -26 and -27 do the auto squeeze, and the -16 and - 17 have it as a menu adjustment (the right most tab on the menu screen, and the toggle is at the bottom of that pulldown).
I may be wrong about the specific models that do the squeeze automatically, but at least for last year's models they were not all auto.
Good luck.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Only the XBR's do the “unsqueeze” automatically. On the non-XBR models you have to go into menu and set the16:9 mode to "ON", the other option is "OFF". On the XBR's the choices are "ON" and "AUTO", "OFF" is not option. One the non-XBR’s, if you leave 16:9 enhance mode set to "ON" and switch to another input source (like your cable), it will continue to "unsqueeze" the picture, which distorts it. The XBR's models have digital tuners, so they can read the 16:9 flag in the bit stream and switch to the 16:9 enhance mode automatically, which does the unsqueezing. Also, since you can’t pass 16:9 bit stream though analog inputs (S-video, RCA red, white and yellow jacks), the 16:9 enhance mode only works on your two component inputs on the XBR models. So, on the XBR models, if you watching a DVD in 16:9 enhance mode, and switch to your cable input source, the cable picture will not be in 16:9, it will be in good old 4:3. The non-XBR's are analog and they do not recognize the 16:9 flag in the bit stream, and so they do not automatically switch to the 16:9 mode. I hope this helps.
Marshawn

James Eftekari

Auditioning
Actually my 32FV27 just arrived this morning ( its the replacement model of the FV26) and it does do the 16:9 squeeze automatically, I have my dvd player to 16:9 out and when I switch to video 4 the picture is automatically squeezed.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
James,
What is the 16:9 enhance mode set to? ON, OFF or do the new modes have an AUTO setting? I think it may be that Sony has changed the ability to have 16:9 enhance mode enabled on inputs other than component (like the XBR'S). On my XBR, I can't enable 16:9 enhance mode on inputs other than component.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
James,
I bet 16:9 enhance mode is set to "ON" and there is no "AUTO" setting for your model.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I have the 16x9 squeeze mode set to AUTO on my WEGA KV-32FV27. Works great! Cable (and other inputs) is 4x3 while the component input is 16x9. The DVD picture, of course, is gorgeous.
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To reiterate, the FV26/27 WEGAs also do the squeeze automatically.
James: I am very curious, and if I may be so bold, why did you replace your KV-32FV26 with a KV-32FV27?
Everybody: I bought my KV-32FV26 about five months ago. And here we are at the end of summer, and I am already seeing Toshiba 40H80 RPTVs on sale for just $1,600. My 32FV26 was purchased strictly as a transitional set, with the intention of rotating it over to bedroom duty after I get an ATSC-based set next year. Should I have held out, I wonder? I didn't expect good digital sets to start plummeting in price so soon. Damn.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

James Eftekari

Auditioning
Oh no, I was just saying that the FV27 is this years replacement of last years FV26. The FV27 is my first Wega tv set.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Marshawn,
I'm not so sure that you were right when you wrote:
Also, since you can’t pass 16:9 bit stream though analog inputs (S-video, RCA red, white and yellow jacks), the 16:9 enhance mode only works on your two component inputs on the XBR models
This may be the case with the Sony XBR's, but I happen to own a Loewe television that ONLY recognizes the anamorphic signal with S-Video, and does not do it with component. If you're right about passing 16:9 bit stream I'm wondering how my TV does it. Do you think that there might be some kind of recognition software or the like?

Marshawn's posting contains some confusing (and possibly incorrect) information. First, I think that s/he means "squeeze" when s/he says "unsqueeze". Also, you don't have to use the component inputs for the TV to recognize the squeeze signal -- my DVD player is plugged into my 32XBR400 through the S-video input, and the auto-squeeze works like a champ.
------------------
John Robinson
"E=mc^2 (+/- 3dB)"

Brent Phillips

Auditioning
I just purchased a Sony XBR700 and it is suppose to auto squeeze anamorphic DVD's. But I have to select it manually by setting 16:9 Enchanced to ON in the settings menu. I'm using an Apex AD-600A connected using a S-Video cable. The manual states that the only requirement is that the device be connected to a video connection. I'm using video input 4.

Anyone know of a fix for this problem? Everytime I switch inputs, it resets it back to auto and I have to set it to on again.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
And one more quibble with MarshawnM's post... the component video inputs are ANALOG, not digital. But, if he/she says there is somehow a flag there, then I believe it. This also explains why on some TVs it will work with S-video.

Also... it should be mentioned that on some Sonys I have heard that vertical compression does not work on progressive inputs. This is perhaps BECAUSE it is automatic... perhaps in that case it can't get the flag. Maybe on these TV it does work if you force it manually, assuming you can. I don't have such a TV to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks