What's new

Sony Wega and Avia Question (1 Viewer)

Shawn P

Auditioning
I just got a new Sony wega and I'm trying to set it up using the Avia Dvd. I'm having difficulty with the first set up (picture/contrast). They talk about the boxes in the top of the picture blooming when it is set too high. Maybe it just me but I don't see any blooming even when it's turned up all the way. The THX set up on the Star Wars DVD is the same. Turn up the contrast until the distinction between the shaded box is lost and then turn it down. I can turn it up all the way and still see the different shades. Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with that part of the setup on my Wega 32FV27. I noticed blooming at the highest levels of contrast, but it wasn't as easy to see as on my crappy old Zenith. In the middle levels there's no blooming as far as I could tell. I just ended up leaving it at a level I considered reasonable. It's a few ticks to the right of the half-way mark on the scale.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
With both of my TVs (a '99 non-Vega 36" and a Mits 46807) I had a hard time observing blooming. Certainly at the extremes of the contrast range, but on the whole it was hard to identify the point of blooming.
However, I could definately see the lines bending so I set my contrast around that.
-Alan

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
It's important to remember that Sony's "picture" control isn't, per se, the traditional contrast. It performs the contrast function while simutaneously raising/lowering the brightness (to a lesser degree). This requires you to do the adjustment. then go back and adjust it again, until correct.
Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks