What's new

Sony Wega 36 inch repair advice (1 Viewer)

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Well guys my Wega is out of commision. Can't get a picture or any sound out of it. After doing some research it sounds like the mainboard went oot on me. I called up a few local places who are certified Sony repair shops and basically came down to two places I am trying to decide between.

The first place is called Jersey Jim Towers Electronics. They are charging $90 to pick it up and return the set to me along with the estimate on what is wrong. They said if i choose to have them fix it they will waive the $90. They charge a hourly rate of $45 and basically said they will attempt to fix whatever is wrong first at the component level and if that does not work then will have to order the parts. They also will warranty there work for 90 days. Only problem i see here is that with out me there to watch them who knows how many hours they will charge for labor and whether or not that is accurate.

Next is a place called Plaza Electronics Repair. They are charging $60 for the pickup and return along with whats wrong with the set. They charge a flat fee $125 for labor. They said for component level repairs somewhere along $20-$35. Now if that doesn't work and they have to order the part then they would call me up and let me know how much. They warranty their work for only 45 days.

So the question guys is which one sounds better? I'm really not sure who to choose. Also would you guys look at other places not Authorized Sony Repair Shops?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
How old is the set?

I dunno. People keep talking "don't buy the extended warranty". Well, in this case, had he got it at Circuit City (where I got my 5 year on my Sony KV-34XBR910) this would not only have been covered, but the service would have been in-home. It's precisely for these instances that a warranty is needed. Granted, the majority of the time you won't ever use it. But the ONE time you do, it pays for itself. Just like car insurance. Now, car insurance is mandatory, but you try to get the best one. You don't think: I'm a crappy driver...I'm going to need it because I'm going to have an accident.

david stark

Second Unit

I'd look at non authorized repair shops. If you can find anyone in your area with a recommendation of a repair shop I would trust that more than an authorized dealer alone.

For the ones you mentioned I'd be tempted to go with the first. The second one charges equivalent of almost 3 hours work plus another $60 for pick up/delivery (which if I'm reading right is free if the other place repairs it). Plus you get double the warranty on the first one.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
David,

Agreed my only problem is without me being there they could basically say it takes however long they want. On the other hand thats what the estimate is beforehand. Hmmm

I will also call up a few local non authorized shops to see if they can fix it.

What a pain in the A**! :thumbsdown:

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

That's why you get an estimate. You can also check if they have had complaints against them if part of the BBB.

Regards

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would try a post "Help, Please Reccomend A Repair Shop In Tampa Bay, FL" Maybe there are some people on this forum that can direct you to a good & honest repair shop in your area. Good Luck.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The concern I have about any shop picking up the unit is whether they will damage the set cosmetically. I've seen shiny sets go in for repairs and come back with scratches on the cabinet and the trim. And nobody at the shop gives a damn.

And, in addition, most dedicated "TV-repair shops" take advantage of consumer ignorance. Every time some local-news source does an "undercover" consumer-advocacy story on these outfits, they all end up looking like rip-off artists.

This also brings to light the issue of reliability of larger direct-view sets and the logistical practicality of getting something so damn big and heavy repaired.

I love Sony's products, but reliability is becoming an increasing concern of mine.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I wish I didn't have to get the set picked up but since I am moving in about 10-15 days kind of pointless to haul the set myself tot he new place and risk doing more damage to it. I figure have them pick it up and repair it in-shop then have them deliver in to my new place and put it right into the entertainment center.

I agree about the cosmetic damage grrr

The problem is yes I can get a estimate but have to pay for it, not to mention the fact the set gets moved for nothing if I don't go with that particular repair place. Again what a pain!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks