What's new

Sony Wega 36-FV26---more headaches (1 Viewer)

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I have frequented this board for the past couple of months, mostly as a lurker. I recently purchased the 36FV26 and noticed that it had the blue tint in the lower right and upper right hand corners. Also, on a white screen, you could see the blue tint and a yellow band about 6 inches wide running down the right side of the screen. I call A-1, who I purchased it from, and they sent out a Sony tech. Both A-1 and the tech said it was a degaussing problem, and that they could fix it. They crack the case open, screw around with it, then come to the conclusion that the picture tube is cracked.
They say they have to order a new tube, on a two week old tv. I said that is unacceptable, and that I want a brand new tv. A-1 said that wasn't their policy, I told them they better make it their policy or I'll return the tv and go somewhere else. So they agree to bring me a new tv, which should be arriving tomorrow. My question is if I have the same problem, what other tv out there can I get that is comparable both price wise and quality size. I could venture into RPTV land, but I would prefer to stay with Sony since I am financing it on their card for 12 months no interest deal. I also want to stay in the 4:3 aspect ratio because 90% of my wife and my viewing is on cable tv.
Thanks,
Mike

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
In case anyone is reading this, I thought I would give you an update. I get my new TV yesterday. The first one went back. My wife goes to let them in and unpackage it. I get home, what do I notice?? The front face plate is missing on it. And to boot, there is a blue tint on all four corners. This just sucks big time. Obviously, the picture tube on the first one wasn't broken and the moron tech people, were clueless. So, this one is going back also. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a different tv??
Mike

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
I would be surprised if you can find any set that has perfect convergence and/or purity.
It might be a little more on some Wegas, but check another make in store prior to buying one.
------------------

Brian_Reynolds

Auditioning
Hi there,
I went through three 36FS12 WEGAs. If memory serves, the first had the band of yellow along the right side and a blue right-top corner.
Second had two blue corners and yellow band.
Third had almost acceptable blue corner. . . yellow band was less severe. . . but after noticing the funhouse/geometry problems, I decided that these sets were tweaked and/or the ether surrounding my house didn't like WEGAs.
All three also had uneven brightness problem.
So, I bit the bullet and got the Sony 53HS10. It's an RPTV that has almost the exact same features as the XBR400 WEGA (squeeze, DRC, etc.).
I was a bit wary of DRC, but I think the picture looks great even on bad cable signals (and I'm only 8' from the TV).
I got a late build set (Feb 2001) and I appear to be free of some of the problems that plagued earlier runs of the set.
I highly recommend giving the HS10 a look. It only takes up a few more inches than the 36" WEGA when you take the WEGA's stand into account. The depth actually is less in my case!
Good Luck!
Brian
P.S. Sounds like they cracked the tube while getting it open!

Nick Westbridge

Auditioning
I'm not sure if anyone will actually read this thread, so if not,I'll just start a new one. :) But I'm experiencing the same yellow-band problem with my Wega as well. Can't say I've noticed any blue-tinting, but the yellow is definitely there. In fact, I hadn't really noticed it much until recently, when I purchashed a couple of Criterion BW Kurosawa discs for my collection. When a colour image is on the screen, it doesn't really appear, but w/ b&w it's VERY apparent, almost to the point where it's distracting. Now the TV is still under warranty, so do you guys recommend that I contact the retailer I purchased the set from and have them look at it, or am I pretty much forced to live with the defect? Other than this (and the uneven brightness from left to right, which is much less noticeable), I'm very happy with the set. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance!
Nick

Andre F

Screenwriter
I think I'm one of the few who got my WEGA and didn't have any really bad problems (geometry is slighty off).
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks