Sony vs. Toshiba vs. Panasonic

Discussion in 'Displays' started by B_r_i_a_n_, Aug 1, 2004.

1. B_r_i_a_n_

B_r_i_a_n_ Auditioning

Jul 31, 2004
    My old 27" 4:3 TV is about to die and I'm looking to replace it with something better. I've been researching but I need some help/advice.

This kind of purchase is frustrating to me because I'm not in a financial position to afford to replace it in a couple of years. However, I don't want to buy a "cheapo" TV because I've already lived with the limitations of one for years.

Some of the things on my "want list" include:

- a reliable product with good warrenty (is a 90 day labor warrenty a big gamble?)

- 1 component input for my DVD player

- at least 1 s-video input for my Directv receiver

- at least 1 composite input for my VCR

- flat screen (are these really that much better? I do see reflections in my current curved screen)

- 16:9 enhanced mode (for watching widescreen DVDs)

- good comb filter (for VCR & game system)

- width less than 29" (which may be impossible to get nowadays)

- 27" or 32" direct view 4:3 CRT

Other features like a game saver or closed captioning would be nice. Features like PIP are not needed. Video quality is more more important that sound quality because I can use my stereo receiver for watching movies. The remote is not critical because I'll mostly use a universal programmable remote.

Do any of you have a product that you recommend? And why?

To help me with my choice, which is a better choice:

Sony KV27FS120
    Panasonic CT27SL14
    Toshiba 27AF44

or for 32":

Sony KV32FS120
    Panasonic CT32SL14
    Toshiba 32AF44

Or is there another product that might be better?

Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendation what you could make would be appreciated?
  2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Dec 26, 2001
    I would also throw in the 27" or 32" JVC AV-xxF475 models. The Panasonic's also don't have the 16:9 DVD Mode. As for Inputs if I not mistaken the only set that has 3 Seperate "Rear" sets of Inputs is the Sony. My choice would be the JVC but only because they can be had for a lot less money than the Sony. Also Panasonic owns JVC & the sets, parts & etc are made in the same plant in Mexico.
  3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

Sep 28, 2003
    panasonic jvc and toshiba all have 1 yr warranties on their flat tube sets
  4. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Dec 1, 1998
    I just got the Sony KV-32FS120. I like it so far. I exchanged a Panny HD Widescreen CT34WX54 for it. I was so diappointed in every HDTV I tried. Since I will be mainly watching SD. There was no need to spend the extra money on a HDTV that has a horrible SD picture. I just don't want to upgrade my Direct Tivo after only 8 months for another $1000. When things shake out more I will jump into HD. The weird thing is, my eyes hurt while watching SD on a HDTV.