What's new

Sony vs. Toshiba vs. Panasonic (1 Viewer)

B_r_i_a_n_

Auditioning
My old 27" 4:3 TV is about to die and I'm looking to replace it with something better. I've been researching but I need some help/advice.

This kind of purchase is frustrating to me because I'm not in a financial position to afford to replace it in a couple of years. However, I don't want to buy a "cheapo" TV because I've already lived with the limitations of one for years.

Some of the things on my "want list" include:

- a reliable product with good warrenty (is a 90 day labor warrenty a big gamble?)

- 1 component input for my DVD player

- at least 1 s-video input for my Directv receiver

- at least 1 composite input for my VCR

- flat screen (are these really that much better? I do see reflections in my current curved screen)

- 16:9 enhanced mode (for watching widescreen DVDs)

- good comb filter (for VCR & game system)

- width less than 29" (which may be impossible to get nowadays)

- 27" or 32" direct view 4:3 CRT

Other features like a game saver or closed captioning would be nice. Features like PIP are not needed. Video quality is more more important that sound quality because I can use my stereo receiver for watching movies. The remote is not critical because I'll mostly use a universal programmable remote.

Do any of you have a product that you recommend? And why?

To help me with my choice, which is a better choice:

Sony KV27FS120
Panasonic CT27SL14
Toshiba 27AF44

or for 32":

Sony KV32FS120
Panasonic CT32SL14
Toshiba 32AF44

Or is there another product that might be better?

Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendation what you could make would be appreciated?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would also throw in the 27" or 32" JVC AV-xxF475 models. The Panasonic's also don't have the 16:9 DVD Mode. As for Inputs if I not mistaken the only set that has 3 Seperate "Rear" sets of Inputs is the Sony. My choice would be the JVC but only because they can be had for a lot less money than the Sony. Also Panasonic owns JVC & the sets, parts & etc are made in the same plant in Mexico.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I just got the Sony KV-32FS120. I like it so far. I exchanged a Panny HD Widescreen CT34WX54 for it. I was so diappointed in every HDTV I tried. Since I will be mainly watching SD. There was no need to spend the extra money on a HDTV that has a horrible SD picture. I just don't want to upgrade my Direct Tivo after only 8 months for another $1000. When things shake out more I will jump into HD. The weird thing is, my eyes hurt while watching SD on a HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks