What's new

Sony vs. Sharp - Please help! (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hi guys... I posted something similar in the "Basics" forum, but perhaps I should be asking here.

I'm about to take my first trip into the wonderful world of HD. :)

I've pretty much settled on getting an LCD. Bright room, short viewing distance (6-7 feet) and a couple other minor factors (like space).

I've just come back from viewing a few sets at Costco, Soundsaround, Bestbuy and others.

At the moment, I'm looking at two sets.

1. Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. Advantages: Size - 46". Picture is astounding, and black levels are stunning. Love the piano black bezel. 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast ratio. Disadvantages: Possible banding issues (although the retailer has a no-hassle return policy), only 2 HDMI inputs, no VGA input. (Don't have a HTPC, so not a big issue at this time.)

2. Sony KDL40XBR3. Advantages: Picture is gorgeous, 3 HDMI inputs. Currently on-sale and price matches the Sharp. Love the glass bezel. Disadvantage: Smaller set (6 inches), return policy not as good. Black level not quite as nice.

Both TVs feature 1920x1080 resolution. Both feature 1080p.

I'd love to get the Sharp, as I've always thought Sony's were wonderful, but overpriced. (The Sony is currently on sale, or I wouldn't be considering it.)

The Sharp is bigger, and has nicer contrast. I'm scared of the possibility of the banding issue. (The TV is available at Costco... their return policy is unmatchable.)

The Sony is gorgeous, and is available at a heck of a price. More inputs, but smaller screen size. Plus I've heard of the possible clouding/backlight issues. Return policy isn't nearly as liberal... but not nearly as worrisome as the Sharp with it's possible banding issues.

Guys... any opinions??? I'd appreciate some thoughts/input.

Also, if you have any alternative LCDs I should be looking for... let me know. :)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Let me see if I can help. Warning: I may be biased as I own a Sharp D90. ;)

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tip...esolution.html

Ideal viewing distance for 40" set @ 1080p: 5ft
Ideal viewing distance for 46" set @ 1080p: 6ft

Advantage: Sharp

Sharp 46" same price as Sony 40"

Sharp picture is astounding, better black levels, higher contrast

Sharp no hassle return policy

As for the Sharp banding issues, these are no worse than the Sony clouding issues. To be quite honest, both sets are among the best on the market, but at the same price there's no question I would pick the larger of the two. Sharp has been excellent on their warranties, but check that the retailer will replace the set if you do find your set suffers from banding.

howitzer

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
I did the comparison a couple of months ago and I came up with the Sony 40V2500. I paid $1850 at J&R and they had the 46V series for $2300. YMMV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

From one Trooper to another ...

Sony is more friendly to calibration needs than the sharp. Calibrated ... both tend to have the same black levels.

regards

Rustedwho

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I sell televsisions for a living, and i've done some comparisons. The sharp is a very nice set and all but im still more of a fan of the sony. The XBR3 is awesome, but the price isnt, as it was said earlier, look into the V2500, it's still a better set than the sharp (in my opinion) and its much less, maybe even check out the Mitsubishi LT17131 as its also a great choice. One more thing, if your looking at the XB3 and the price is too high, look for the XR2, its the same exact set without the black finish, its more of a silver style. Plus at that sitting distance, 46 would do fine but 40 would be most ideal again in my opinion. Good Luck,

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Thanks for the input gang. Gotta make my decision in the next couple of days. We're picking up a new set sometime this week. :)

The V2500 is a nice set... however with the sale price I currently have on the XBR3, the V2500 is about the same price, believe it or not. :)

Side note: Michael... you a fellow Trooper? :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Yes, we've trooped together many times. Don't you remember? :) I'm the one with the orange pauldron and the MG-34.

Regards

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
ROFLMAO! Michael... I didn't even realize it was you! HIYA! :) I've been hanging around this board for years, and didn't know you were here. :)

Double-thanks for your input! :)

Justin Spike

Agent
I'd stay away from Sharp. I just got the 52" D62, and upon turning it on immediately noticed the 6" wide shadow running the vertical length of the screen. I had no idea about the "banding" problems before purchasing, but this is a real concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks