Sony vs Samsung

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jack/=-R, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Jack/=-R

Jack/=-R Auditioning

I've been lurking around a bit looking for comparisons between the Samsung TXN3245FP and the Sony KV-32FP100, but haven't been able to come up with much. I looked at both this weekend, but it was hard to really get a good idea of the relative picture quality with Ultimate Electronic's botched connection methods (2 equivalent Sony's side by side, different picture size, had very different image qualities).

Anyway, people on this forum seem pretty knowledgable. Could someone provide some insight into the pro's and con's of each?

Oh, digital cable w/ converter box (coming soon), Sony DVD/SACD/CD with progressive scan capability, no game machines (yet), primarily cable stations with DVD movie watching on the weekends. I'm not sure true HDTV is the way to go yet. We really wouldn't be able to take advantage of of the added capability.

Thanks

2. Jack/=-R

Jack/=-R Auditioning

I guess I could go another route as well. Can anyone recommend a quality 32" flat panel, direct view set under $750. I'd like progressive scan capability since the DVD player will have it. My preference is for the best picture quality for the money. PIP and other extras hold no interest for me. Oh, I would like multiple video inputs.

Thanks

3. TimG

TimG Second Unit

If you want a 32" HDTV ready tv, I think your options are fairly limited at $750. Advent, and maybe Samsung are a couple options. At that price you really need to look at 27" hdtv's or regular analog sets at 32". I forgot the Akai tv's, also in that price range, although I am not sure about them being analog or digital.

TimG

4. EricScald

EricScald Auditioning

I just recently bought the 27" version of the samsung you are looking at. I was also looking at a sony as well. I actually bought the sony first because the people at circuit city lead me to believe that it would support Progressive scan, well it doesn't. When I found that out I took it back and got the samsung instead. I wish I could tell you if the sony you are looking at does support it but the model number you posting can't be found on sony's web site.

That said here are some of my impressions on the two I had.

Sony:
    Has PIP (you said you don't care though)
    has some nice usability features like: you can turn the speakers off and set the audio output to a fixed level or variable based on TV Vol.

Picture was a very little worse then the samsung. But in the end not having PS and being $150 more was a deal breaker for me.

Samsung
    The back panel is very confusing. You will stare at it for a few min before you understand it. you will then feel slightly cheated because you will discover that there are not as many inputs as the spec would lead you to think. The spec say the there are 3 av inputs and 2 component. Really there are 3 inputs on the back 1 av and 2 shared av/component. So while the specs make you think it has 1 more input then the sony it really has 1 less

some remote functions are kind of strange like 2 buttons one to switch to av1-3 and s-video and one to switch to the component inputs.

vertical compression is not auto like on the sony you have to change the picture mode to wide.

In the end Picture quality is great. The line doubler does a good job making regular tv look a little better. and all the little usability things that bugged me at first were solved by a universal remote with some macros.

5. Agustin

Agustin Agent

stick with the samsung, what a brand, nice features for less bucks against sony

6. Jack/=-R

Jack/=-R Auditioning

EricScald,

Sorry, typo. You're right, the part number I listed for the Sony is an incorrect number. It should be KV-32FS100. And no, it doesn't support progressive scan.

All,

I posted the same question on another forum and was told the EDTV capability of the Samsung was really 1080i capability "handicapped" at the factory. Anyone here know anything about that?

Thanks for the comments.

7. Kevin R M

Kevin R M Auditioning

Yes, the 27", and 32" are both 1080i capable. If you go into the service menu their is an option "no 1080i 1," changing this to a 0 makes both TVs really HDTVs. I've confirmed this myslef when I tested the trick on the 32" model at Circuit City.

I have heard however that when you enable the 1080i on the 32" that the TV suffers from bad blooming problembs due to a weak power supply, but apparently the 27" model dosen't have the problembs the 32" does making it one of the cheapest 27" HDTVs on the market right now.

I'm actually going to be picking up the 27" Samsung from Circuit City in a few days. It's $499.99 but I'm hoping it will go on sale sometime soon.

8. Jack/=-R

Jack/=-R Auditioning

Is the power supply easily upgradeable? I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but am unfamiliar with the inner workings of televisions. It seems that the quality of most electronic equipment starts with the power supply.

Also, I'm starting to waver back toward getting the Sony simply because most of my viewing will probably be analog. However, does digital cable and the accompanying box supplied by Comcast supply a digital signal to the television or is it still an analog signal? Or can it be either?

9. CharlesDLP

CharlesDLP Auditioning

"If you want a 32" HDTV ready tv, I think your options are fairly limited at $750. Advent, and maybe Samsung are a couple options."

The Advent 4:3 HD direct view sets BB sells accept 1080i signals, but do not have a 16:9 mode feature at all near as I can tell. Your 16:9 HD signals or even 16:9 DVD's will always be stretched vertically. There is no way to bring it back in properly. It should do this automatically or at the very least allow you to manually via the user menu, but this is not even an option on these sets. The price is nice and low, but what good does that do you if you'll never be able to watch 16:9 material formatted properly. For those of you that may look at one just thought I'd warn you. There are many salespeople out there that don't care if people buy something and then get it home only to find out it does not work as it should. At my local BB there are no HD signals running to the HD direct view sets, so I let customers know about cases such as the Advent HD's we sell. For a low price point HD set the Phillip's 16:9 HD direct view sets seem very nice. I was impressed with the picture quality after testing them out on our HD loop feed. One is a 30" 16:9 for $1000 and the other is a 34" 16:9 for $1500. Not bad if you ask me. I was never crazy about these sets, but after testing out the HD picture quality I was pleasantly suprised.