sony vs. denon help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Weldy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I have the sony dvp s330p or something that resembles that model number. With the exception to the dvd audio would it be worth the upgrade to the denon dvd 1600. The dvda is not that important to me. I am just wondering about an imporvment in picture quality. I also have the samsung hc something 55 (3 years old)

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Matt,

I currently own a Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD player and while the video and audio section on this unit is very good. And I realize that you would not want to compair the standard Sony with Sony ES line up. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the Denon. Most of the Denon DVD players if not all of them. Have a video buffer that compinsates for the layer change. So you do not have the pause when the player changes layers. If the Denon DVD-1600 has the video buffer I would go for it. Not only that it is my opinion that the Denon has a better picture than the standard Sony players and has better parts. For myself at the time the Denon did not play SACD and that was the deciding factor in choosing a dvd player for myself. I hope this helps you with your delema?

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Get a brand new Panasonic XP30 at Abe's of Main for $199 before they run out. It has the same video section design as the Denon DVD-1600 but without the DVD-audio capability. The XP30's sell on EBAy for $200-$300 or more.

4. Greg Abbott

Greg Abbott Auditioning

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I've seen reports of long layer changes for the Panansonic RP82/XP30 and Denon DVD-1600, but I recently got an XP30 on EBAY and I've tested it on DVDs where I know exactly where the layer change is like the Superbit Fifth Element - and I can't see any pause at all!

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Was not sure about the low end Denon models as far as video buffer. But I do know that there higher models do have a video buffer. Even my Sony ES has a slight pause during the layer change, maybe its time to find a better dvd player :b

7. Glenn Marshall

I had the same Sony model. Wanted to have DVD-A and, hopefully, upgrade the video. It was worth the purchase just for the video alone. Great unit! Yes, it is a little slow in almost all functions, compared to my Sony, but no big deal. Blacker blacks, richer more saturated colors, etc.