Sony VPL-VW10HT - How Good Is It as an HT FP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy C., Jul 27, 2001.

1. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

The subject says it all. This would be my jump into FP and out of RPTV land. Is this a good entry into FP? Also, how much should I pay for it new? I'm thinking around $4500-$5000...
    Thanks all,
    Roy C.
    ------------------

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have seen it demo'ed many times and I love the picture you can get from it when properly calibrated. As with most FP's, you need to minimize the ambient light in the room for best results. I have seen various posts around for about $4400-$4500. Check with RAF. He has one in his setup.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

3. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

It is a VERY GOOD entry into DIGITAL FP. If you can, wait for it's successor the 11HT.
    With the EXTREMELY discounted used CRT PJ's floating the market, i'm hesitant to say it's a very good entry into Front Projection on the whole however.
    An excellent condition used CRT PJ goes for around $3500 these days and will TOTALLY blow away any comparable digital projector in Picture Quality... remember these beasts sold for over $20K when they were new!!
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

4. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

Thanks guys! This is exactly the kind of advise and comments that I was expecting from the members of this great forum. RAF, can you shed any further light into this? Any good pros, cons, etc?
    John - can you name of few of those CRT PJ's (Barco, Electrohome, Marquee, etc)?????
    Thanks again,
    Roy C.
    ------------------

5. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Roy,
    Check this Used Projector Inventory . The vendor has great feedback from users. I'm a customer as well.
    A used SONY 12xx will be a great buy. There are other NEC, Barco and Electrohome models. For details visit this CRT Projector Forum for loads of useful advice and B-stock CRT Projectors on sale from time to time by the Forum Store. Highly reputed and extremely reliable.
    Search the archives to know more about a particular brand of PJ. This site is a goldmine for Front Projection enthusiasts.
    And then there is always E-bay!
    Good Luck and welcome to Front Projection Land.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us