Sony VPL-HS3

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonty Rees, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Anyone here have any experience with a Sony VPL-HS3 projector? My local AV store has a sale on right now with this unit for $997. I saw it in the viewing room, with a side-by-side comparison with a VPL-HS20 at $3197. Looked pretty good to me, although the HS20 was clearly better - less grainy, much smoother picture, but $3x. I'm pretty tempted by the price on the HS3 - the HS20 is definitely not in my budget.

These guys at the store obviously know how to show a product - "let me get a disc - here we go". Then they made me watch the scene in 5th Element where Milla Jovovich first shows up and runs around in basically a couple of handerkerchiefs. That would look good on a Viewmaster!

There was definitely a screen door effect, but from a 10-12' viewing position, I don't think it would be noticeable. Anyone care to comment? The sale lasts until today.

On the screen front - they recommended the ones they have in the store, made by a local company, (Austin, TX), at about $1000 ea! Seemed a bit steep to me. Couldn't I do better than that?

2. Jonty Rees

No replies? Nobody owns this machine? It's an obvious "buy" signal - I'm heading up there right now.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Jonty, post your thoughts as soon as you set it up in your room. Sorry I did not see this thread before.

4. Jonty Rees

As soon as I'm up and running, I'll post a review from the POV of a projector neophyte. Got some early thoughts, though:

The manual is pretty cryptic about placement of the unit. It really doesn't mention ceiling mounting at all, which is what I had in mind, and I think it even says at one stage "must be floor mounted" or something similar. Obviously this is not the case, but it doesn't spell out "you can position the projector outside the edges of the screen to the right and left if you are this far back, but you can't go outside the boundaries above and below the screen" I'll figure it out, but I'm going to post a "projector placement" thread to see what others are doing.

I also bought a Toshiba SD 5960 DVDP to take advantage of the HS3s HDMI. The Toshiba comes with an HDMI cable, but it's only 5-6ft long. The placement of my components under the screen means I'll have to get a much longer cable. The HS3 comes with a very long PJ Multi Interface cable, (y, Rg, Rb, S-video and Video phonos at one end, and some proprietary connector at the other), so I should still get a pretty good picture, although I like the idea of going totally digital from DVDP to Projector.

For now, I just hooked up the 5960 to my Onkyo TXDS575 receiver through composite video and on to my old 35" Sony and popped in T3. It was really easy to set up, and the picture was fine, nice colors, etc, better than my stopgap $35 Mintek anyway. It did stutter and stumble over one scene, which is a bit worrying as it's a brand new DVD. We'll see.