Sony VPL-HS3 or Panny AE900U?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul Mor, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I've found what I believe are good deals on these two FP's. I can get the Panny for about $1400 after rebate and the Sony can be had for $1800 (with no interest for 18 months[​IMG]

My room is about 18 x 13 with 12' ceilings. I plan to put the FP on a stand against the back wall. Also, I do not currently have HD...and may not for a while. Up to this point I've spent what little extra money I've had on the audio section of my HT.

Anyone have thoughts on these two units? Or maybe something better for my money. I really don't want to spend more than $1800 because I've found several units that I believe will fill my needs in that price range.

Thanks!!

2. Stevecatch

Stevecatch Auditioning

AE900u, absolutely. It's one of the most highly recommended home cinema projectors on the net. While the HS3 has many positive reviews, the AE900u has amazingly more. The HS3 has also been discontinued since a few months before the AE900u came out last year.

Despite not having HDTV, you can still utilize the 720p resolution of the the AE900u with certain dvd players. And it'd be good to "future-proof" your investment for when you do get HD programming. The 480p really doesn't cut it anymore.

Using a projection calculator, it looks like you can get a 90" screen from 18' away. Not bad at all.

This seems a little odd to compare. Are you sure you mean the HS3 that has an MSRP of $1499? You'd be paying $300 above the MSRP for outdated technology.
    Well, even if you typo'd and meant something like the Sony VPL-HS51A, I'd still say go with the AE900u.

I'd say invest that extra $300 into a decent screen and use what's leftover for soda, popcorn, and candies. [​IMG]

3. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steve. And yes, I did mean the Sony VPL-H51A. Didn't do a very good job of looking at my notes while typing.

4. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Another resounding vote for the AE900. It's just an all around great projector. I love mine.

FYI, the Panasonic is capable of well over 120" from 18' away on wide (versus telephoto), and it upconverts ALL images to its native 720p. Even VHS looks a LOT better than I expected it to.

5. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    I'm thinking about going the projection route this Fall. I read you guys talking about 720p native format and people then talking about going the HD route.

My lack of knowledge shining through here. Will the AE900U also handle 1080p or cap out at 720p?

6. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Nope. If you want a projector, which handles 1080p you will be paying upwards of 10 grand.

7. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Thanks. Gulp. I'll wait that out. Maybe go the 720p route for a few years.